Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Turning around I see that we have had a roof leak. Which has been unattended for two years, or whatever part of that. One of the large ceiling panels is destroyed, the 12v light fixture is just hanging in midair, but worse, the overhead cabinet above the recliner chair is positively toast. The wood, cheap to start with, has rotted out, the doors are hanging by a screw (barely), the wood is discolored, and the parts of it that are pressboard (quite a lot) now looks like a pregnant lady about to drop her water. So I have some major repair there; I figure $2,000 to $5,000 for the roof, and I have no idea how much for the cabinet work.

So the estimate for the roof is over $10,000, and probably another $500-$800 for a "Rhino" roof (everybody knows what a Rhino-lining is for a pickup truck, right? Same thing, except one piece, sprayed on, never (supposedly) needs UV protection or maintenance again.)

The insurance company has sent me a check for $13,600, which includes monies for the destroyed cabinets and some other stuff, but I can repair the cabinets myself better than the pressboard (and $115/hr labor) from the RV shop, so I may get carpeting instead (which insurance doesn't cover, but is modestly damaged.)

And I will have to replace both halves of the windshield, to the tune of $1800, so there's that. Gonna do it. May take a shorter-than-usual trip next spring to see if my body can handle the rig anymore. I can "long drive" a car, but I'm not so sure about the 27,000# monster. Maybe, we'll see.

Anyway, thank goodness for Amica. Nicest insurance company I've ever dealt with. Best rates, too, plus a refund check every year depending on how their underwriting went. (They're a mutual company.) Hope they don't cancel me, I've had several claims in just the past couple years (hail damage to the roof & 2 cars, tree falling on house, now this...) Oh, and those two RV windshield pieces: covered, minus deductible.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement