Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122055  
Subject: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 9:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 119
He is sitting on my lap, not knowing that it's his last night with me. He is sitting here, trusting me because I am his friend, his very best friend, and tomorrow I am taking him to the vet for the last time.

We moved into this house 12 years ago and we had cats. Two left over from Chicago, two more Mrs. Goofy acquired during her short stay in an apartment here while I sold the house up north. They find her. They always have.

Tuxedo was not one of those, he belonged to the people next door, although you'd barely know it. To hear the story, Tuxedo had another name but everybody just called him "the cat" and the wife next door had all his claws removed because she didn't like him clawing the furniture. Then came divorce, and the next wife didn't like him, so he was banished to the outdoors. A cat with no claws, in a neighborhood where people let their dogs run (and they do, in packs), where we get racoons, foxes, and more recently a coyote.

All black, white paws and chest, it wasn't long before he acquired a new name: Tuxedo. He had no collar and for the longest time we didn't know he belonged to anyone, so occasionally we would put out a plate of food for him. When we found out he belonged next door we stopped feeding him, but it didn't matter; he didn't get any attention there and he kept showing up here - not that he got along with our cats, far from it, but it didn't seem to dissuade him.

He would sun himself on the roof of our ragtop car; I watched him jump to the bumper, launch to the hood, and then up the windshield to the roof. I guess it was as high as he could get without those claws, and it was safe, and it was good. Once in a while I'd see him languorously stretching out and I'd bring him an afternoon snack, and he'd look at me with puzzlement as if to say "You're human. What are you doing being nice to me? None of the others are."

A few years ago he darted in the door and decided to stay. With frequent coyote sightings being reported around the neighborhood (and two reported cat kills) we couldn't turn him out, and we didn't. I called the neighbor to tell them that he had come in, and was in our fenced backyard, and was that a problem, and he said "No, keep him if you want."

We did. And he became more "my" cat than any I've had for 30 years, possibly excepting my first, a Siamese who died young. Tuxedo will not die young, he is at least 20, although he has been part of our house for only three years or so.

It was in January, we saw a little bulge on his lip and we thought "abscess" and took him to the vet. "Yep," she said, and scheduled him for an operation the next morning. While he was under she called me and said "It's not an abscess, it's somethingorother carcinoma of the jaw, it's common, and it's fatal.

"How long do we have?" I wanted to know, my throat tightening as I asked.

"Days. Maybe weeks. Possibly a month or two, it depends."

It has been three months, and Tuxedo has been given and has given back a lifetime of love even as the tumor has progressed, first in his jaw, then into his eye, and now bursting out through his cheek.

I thought we had reached the end before, but he always rallied; he kept his appetite until a couple days ago, he climbed on my lap at every opportunity, he purred, he napped. He did all the normal, stupid, usual things a cat does, even with the special feedings and the medicine. Always the medicine. And now he's bleeding, and he's uncomfortable, and even the morphine which we have assiduously given him twice daily is not helping.

My poor boy is in pain, and I need to end it.

This is killing me, and I know it's the right thing, and it's killing me. He's such an innocent, he's had a good three years, and maybe more than I don't know about, and it's killing me.

Goodbye sweet Tuxedo. Tomorrow I will take you to the vet, and I will bring you home, and I will put you in the soft, sweet earth, and cry some more.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101735 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 9:27 PM
Recommendations: 0
Oh Goofy & Tuxedo!!! I am so sorry the end has come. But how wonderful that you took him in those years ago so that he knew human love & kindness the tail end of his many years. May he be waiting for you at the Bridge, tumor free, young & purring with delight. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. ((((((((((((((((Goofy & Tuxedo))))))))))))))))

Michele, Chia & Mews

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101736 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 9:29 PM
Oh Goofy & Tuxedo!!! I am so sorry the end has come. But how wonderful that you took him in those years ago so that he knew human love & kindness the tail end of his many years. May he be waiting for you at the Bridge, tumor free, young & purring with delight. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. ((((((((((((((((Goofy & Tuxedo))))))))))))))))

Michele, Chia & Mews

I couldn't say it better. Will keep you all in our thoughts tomorrow.
Donna and Bill, Saba and Nevis

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101737 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 9:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
Goofyhoofy ~

Please know that we are all there with you in spirit. Now and when you go to the vets on Monday.

What a blessing you have been to Tuxedo and he just loves you for it. Even in pain he is with you and wants to just feel you with him.

Whatever you feel and do when you return is okay. Feeling are what they are and you will find yourself eventually smiling when you think of the good times.

I appreciate you.

Robyn

Author: AcmeFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101738 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 9:31 PM
Goofy, I'm so sorry to hear that the end has come. It is so tough losing loved ones. Cherish the memories; as long as you have them, Tuxedo will always be with you.

Acme

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101740 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 9:53 PM
I remember reading your story about Tuxedo once before; both of yo were blessed with these too-short years. I've got tears for you and for him. I'm so sorry about your loss. Please take good care of yourself tomorrow.

Rita

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101742 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 10:36 PM
(((Goofyhoofy & Tuxedo)))

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101743 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 10:59 PM
((((Hugs and scritches to you both))))

Sadie, Nigel, Sugar Magnolia and Orphan Annie Killmouski

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101744 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 11:14 PM
I'm so sorry, Goofy.

We all know that every 'hello there!' contains within it the seeds of 'Goodbye, I'll always love you,' but that doesn't make it easier.

How fortunate for everyone that you found each other. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101745 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/20/2008 11:14 PM
My heart goes out to you Goof.

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101746 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 12:14 AM
My heart goes out to you...

((((((((Tuxedo, Goofy & family))))))))

LJ, Squeek, Pup & Freckles

Author: scollywaltz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101747 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 12:28 AM
{{{GH}}}

I'm so sorry.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101749 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 12:36 AM
Recommendations: 1
argh

sad story ....... take care, Goof'

=

Author: nggCatgoyle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101751 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 2:02 AM
Recommendations: 5
Dear Goofy,

Tuxedo has had the best years of his life with you. You've given him a home and lavished love on him when no one else would. You've taken care of him through his illness, and now you're going to show him the final kindness, the one that breaks your heart. There's no question he loves you back and knows how much you care.

It doesn't make the hurt any less. In fact, I think it makes it hurt even more. And so you cry and cry until you think there are no more tears, and then you cry some more.

But I hope that through your tears you'll also be able to find a small, gentle smile when you think of your sweet boy cuddled up on your lap, purring and enjoying your company.

And know you'll be the one he'll be waiting for at the Bridge.

{({{{{{{{{{Goofy & Tuxedo)))))))))))

Sharing your sorrow,

Cori

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101753 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 2:16 AM
Recommendations: 8
Hi Goofy,

Your post saddens me, as it does all the pet lovers reading this board. It especially touched me because my long-departed cat was also named Tuxedo and I still think about him all these years later.

Tomorrow (today?) will be a tough one for you and your family. But please remember this is a gift that you have the power to give your Tuxedo. These precious pets depend on us to make the most humane decisions for them when the time comes. Just like when you took him into your home when others weren't taking care of him properly, he now looks to you to end his pain.

Your pain is another story... it will take time. I'm so sorry for you.

Jeanie

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101754 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 2:49 AM
Recommendations: 3
Man, I hate this part. But, it is, after all, the final act of love. Sometimes, we're lucky and our pets just drift off in their sleep. Sometimes, like this time for you and Tuxedo, you have to do the hardest, kindest thing and ease him into that good night. You have proved to be a far better friend to Tuxedo than his first home. You fed him and took care of him and loved him and he loved you back. The price for that is the hole left in your heart when they leave. Soon, when the edges aren't so sharp, that hole will fill with happy memories. Think of Tuxedo happy and healthy, playing at the Bridge, keeping company with Annie and Bobbie.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you both on Monday.

((((((((((GoofyHoofy & Tuxedo))))))))))

Judi

Author: rebuiltmouose One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101755 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 7:24 AM
Oh Goofy -

It is early morning as I read this. You have given Tuxedo more love than he may have ever known. He trusts you - you are his friend, his best friend. He knows you will do what is best for him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time.

((((Goofy & Family))))

Rita & The Stalkers

Author: aamw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101757 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 8:35 AM
I'm so sorry. Thank you for making his final years his best years.

Author: neverabridesmaid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101758 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 8:36 AM
The love you have for your sweet Tuxedo will always be with you. I know when he's gone those wonderful memories will give you comfort. I'll be thinking of you on this very sad day.

-nab

Author: epona4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101759 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 8:49 AM
Goofy,

I'll be thinking of you this morning.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

b

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101760 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 9:21 AM
(((((Goofyhoofy)))))
what a wonderful guy Tuxedo is.........what a wonderful person you are for taking such good care of him.
JK

Author: missash Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101761 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 11:05 AM
Goofey......you done good; amazing how attached we can become to our furry friends;

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101763 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 12:49 PM
Ending suffering is a good deed also. It is easy for us to forget, sometimes.

I'm sorry for your loss.

~dswing

Author: LB0507 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101764 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 12:49 PM
So sorry, Goofy.

The first time I ever had to send a furbaby to Rainbow Bridge was because of the same thing - carcinoma of the jaw. The quality time you were able to give Tuxedo was a wonderful gift.

Wishing you peace and healing.

Lorraine

Author: FoolinSC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101767 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 3:56 PM
Goofy,
You and Mrs. Goofy have my deepest sympathy. As I sit here in my office and read your post, tears began burning my eyes. I ache for you, knowing the sadness you feel. Nothing anyone here can say will ease your loss or the pain associated with it. This is something that only time and memories will ease. Just know that there are those of us who truly empathize because we've gone through this too; and sometimes it helps knowing that you're not alone because we know all too well how you feel.

I second many of the sentiments expressed here. Tuxedo may have had other places to live, but he chose you as his final home. You and Mrs. Goofy gave Tuxedo a wonderful home with lots of love and he knew that. Your final act of kindness relieved him of his pain and he left this earth in peace.

Author: sandytravis Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101770 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 4:59 PM
They say that you can choose a dog, but a cat chooses you. Tuxedo knew - you can bet your last nickel on it - he knew! And how wonderful for both of you that he was that smart.

(((((((Tuxedo's family)))))))

sandytravis (and minuet) (and tango)

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101771 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 5:04 PM
((((Goofy & family)))))

You gave him your best and he gave you his. What more could anyone ask? Take solace knowing that his pain has ended. It's never easy for those who are left behind.

LWW

Author: warbac Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101772 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 5:44 PM
Im very sorry for your loss.

Author: trico8xll Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101773 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 6:11 PM
I am so sorry.

Author: bigdave107 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101774 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 9:21 PM
So sorry for your loss.

You have my heartfelt condolences.

Author: greystarfish Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101775 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/21/2008 11:08 PM
Dear Goofy,

Tuxedo has had the best years of his life with you. You've given him a home and lavished love on him when no one else would. You've taken care of him through his illness, and now you're going to show him the final kindness, the one that breaks your heart. There's no question he loves you back and knows how much you care.

It doesn't make the hurt any less. In fact, I think it makes it hurt even more. And so you cry and cry until you think there are no more tears, and then you cry some more.

But I hope that through your tears you'll also be able to find a small, gentle smile when you think of your sweet boy cuddled up on your lap, purring and enjoying your company.

And know you'll be the one he'll be waiting for at the Bridge.

{({{{{{{{{{Goofy & Tuxedo)))))))))))

Sharing your sorrow,

Cori
Teresa

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101778 of 122055
Subject: Re: Tuxedo, my cat Date: 4/22/2008 10:48 AM
Oh, Goofy, I'm so sorry to hear this! Please know that I will be thinking about you today and throughout the week.

Love
Loving

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement