Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Two comments:

(1) Canada only taxes income from Canadian sources (and all such income, regardless of your residence status). If your only Canadian-source income is from a tax-deferred plan, there are no Canadian tax issues. But if you withdraw money from that plan or have other Canadian-source income, tax will be withheld at the source and you have to file a Canadian return to get it back. The default withholding rate varies with the amount of income from 10% to 30% (if you claim US residence for tax purposes). By the way Canadian exemptions are generous, so you will get a refund.

(2) If as a US permanent resident or citizen you don't report RRSP earnings on From 8891, the IRS can charge you with tax evasion - i.e. intentionally understating your worldwide income. The fact that you would have paid no tax if you had filed Form 8891 doesn't matter, but your intent to hide income by not filing the form does. So unless you have a compelling reason not to, you should file Form 8891.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.