UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4518  
Subject: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 9:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1) When posting to the Motley Fool, I have a browser window, click on "Reply", type in my response. If I want to include a link from another publication, I open a new window, find the link, copy the link, return to the original posting window, the window "reloads" to the "Post Reply" window, which is blank. All of my prior typing disappears.

To copy anything from another source requires multiple trips back and forth to a window (1) headling 2) a bit of text body 3) URL) this makes it impossible, as during at least one of these trips the page reloads and the "reply box" returns as blank.

I used to get around this by hitting "Preview Reply", going to the other window, copying whatever (1, 2, or 3), returning to the original post, hitting "Edit Message" - but now even if I do that, I am returned to a blank reply box, as though I hadn't even gone to the "Preview Reply" page.

Why does the iPad think it needs to reload the page afresh every time?

2) I am not happy that the "hold down the comma to get an apostrophe" (and hold down the question mark to get a quote mark) have changed. Now you have to hold down, get a pop up choice, slide to the pop-up choice, release. It slows down typing immeasurably. I don't suppose there's anything to be done about this, and I'm sure it was changed in the name of consistency (since that's how you access other "behind the scenes" keypresses, like umlauts and accent graves over foreign characters and even "cents" (behind the dollar sign), but changing it for these two often used characters makes typing on the keyboard far more difficult.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2821 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 9:41 AM
Do competing tablets handle this any better? Maybe for now, it's just use a PC or Mac for such postings?

I know I have occasionally posted from my iPhone, but it's a pain. I just try to wait until I'm in front of a "real" connected PC keyboard.

Ken

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2822 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 10:20 AM
Do competing tablets handle this any better?

I don't have "a competing tablet", so I wouldn't know.

Maybe for now, it's just use a PC or Mac for such postings?

Well, that sort of makes the tablet a completely passive instrument, which rather obviates the whole purpose, doesn't it? It used to do this sometimes with the original posting window. It never did it with the "Preview Message" window. Now it does it everytime with both.

Something has changed.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2824 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 10:47 AM
Well, good luck and all that then.

Ken

Author: TroySR71 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2825 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 5:23 PM
Goofy,

I do not have the problem you are having. I can go from this page to another copy link, come back and paste it.

I am attaching the test link to show you I did just that.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,386353-2,00.html

1. Try a hard shutdown and see if that fixes it.
2. If not make an appointment with the G bar.
3. For now, you can go to the link page first copy it and then come here compose your thoughts and paste the link.

Troy

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2827 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 6:03 PM
3. For now, you can go to the link page first copy it and then come here compose your thoughts and paste the link.

Not always, but typically I need to make three trips. I like to paste the headline, which is often a snappy summary, I like to paste a paragraph or two from the body, and I need to paste the link. (I hate it when people paste naked links, and I never follow them.)

One workaround which usually (not always!) works is to work in one browser, but open and close a different one to capture the headline, links, and URL. So if I am working in Safari, I open Dolphin or Mercury (occasionaly Chrome) and do that business, return to Safari; lather, rinse, repeat. But as you can imagine, that gets tiring.

I've done the hard shutdown. No help.

I should say that I was having a serious problem with the iPad freezing when using the browser, particularly on the Fool but also elsewhere. But, to my surprise, if I opened another browser it worked fine - for a time - then it too would freeze up. Sometimes I could go back to the original browser and it would be "unstuck." Sometimes not, in which case I'd go to the third browser. Only once did I have all four browsers lock up on me and require a hard restart. Now you know why I have so many browsers ;)

Anyway, I did a restore. No help. I took it to the Genius, who did a restore. No help. I was about to plunk down $249 for a replacement when we had a corruption problem on the wife's iPhone, and doing a restore there (a different) Genius said to restore AS NEW. (Apparently all a restore does is capture a disk image, wipe the phone, then replace the same disk image. Restoring "as new" wipes, then restores the OS from Apple, and restores each app individually from your backup (cloud, computer, or app store). So the contents get a little scrambled, you lose your folders (and media, temporarily), but it's all there, it just needs reorganizing.

Anyway, I did that with the iPad about two weeks ago (?) and the browser freeze problem went away. I also involuntarily upgraded to iOS6 (by coincidence I "restored" the day after the new iOS came out; never thought about it), so as I say "something changed." It might be iOS6. It might be something quirky in my tablet. Or it might be that every time the tablet looks at a webpage it forces a reload for no particular reason, or that the Fool has some setting that says "this has changed; reload."

Dunno. Dunno how the things work, I'd just like to get it back to where it was, not "force reloading" every page every time I leave and return.

Author: TroySR71 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2829 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 6:32 PM
Recommendations: 1
Sorry for your troubles Goofy,

I'm gonna try what you described you would like to do below and see if it is works for me (ios 6, iPad 2) all from Safari

How to Strip Years of Paint Off a House
What stands between an old house and new paint? Ten tenacious coats of the old stuff. But you can get it off

Above is 1st cut n paste

Testing Different Methods

There are three basic methods for stripping paint—grinding, applying heat, and using chemicals. All of them are hard work because the same binders that cause paint to adhere make it hard to remove. Clark and his crew considered using several different methods on the Winchester siding before making a final choice.

Above is 2nd cut n paste

If you would like to read the entire article...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,386353-2,00.html

Above is 3rd cuts paste

Goofy,

I obviously did not have your problem. I did notice that yes, when I go to another tab it would reload. But when I clicked back on the tab to TMF it does not reload, thus allowing me to do what you want to do. I also noticed that the TMF tab does not reload even if I am not in a reply box.

I'm gonna try a couple other things to see if I can replicate what your iPad is doing. I'll let you know how that goes later.

Troy

Author: TroySR71 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2830 of 4518
Subject: Re: Two iPad problems Date: 10/5/2012 6:56 PM
I still can not reproduce what yours is doing. I did however, discover I can stop my other tabs from reloading.

I opened 6 tabs to various sites including this one. I found that if I click on each tab they stopped reloading and just allowed me to continue where I was without a refresh.

I only have one browser (Safari) so I can't test it to others.

Is it possible the other browsers you have are conflicting with each other? You can delete the others off your pad to see.

Troy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement