UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bheindl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35272  
Subject: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/19/2001 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi all, I'm new to Bond Invesing and have to questions:

1. What is the best online site for purchasing and finding info on US Savings Bonds?

2. What is the best way to track the value of a personal portfolio of savings bonds? The only online calculator I've found either require you to re-enter all your bond serial numbers every time you log on or let you down load to a PC. My problem is I use a Mac and AOL to get online, so I'm looking for the best calculator for that combo.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: foobar73 Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2093 of 35272
Subject: Re: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/19/2001 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1. What is the best online site for purchasing and finding info on US Savings Bonds?

Don't know about your other question, but http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/ is the official government site for savings bonds. I think they may have some kind of tracking tool there.

Author: Whomever One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2094 of 35272
Subject: Re: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/19/2001 1:39 PM
The best site is http://www.usbonds.gov . From there you can do it all--research, buy, and track.

You can also download the Savings Bond Wizard from there. It is a software program that allows you to enter your bond info(date of purchase, denomination, serial number) and will download the latest rates for you. I use it to keep track of our bonds. The nice part is that the information is saved on your computer and you only have to enter it once for each bond.

Hope that helps.

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2095 of 35272
Subject: Re: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/19/2001 1:54 PM
You should probably ask on a Macintosh forum if you want Macintosh software. Everyone here is going to suggest Windows software.

Author: reikiman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2096 of 35272
Subject: Re: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/19/2001 2:57 PM
By all means go to the http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/ web site. At that site you can sign up to buy savings bonds, T-Bills and T-Notes/Bonds directly from the U.S. Treasury (thereby skipping all commissions from a broker). You can even set it up to buy T-Bills and other items in a way where the purchase amount is directly debited from your bank account, and on maturity the money is directly deposited back to your bank account. It's quite convenient. I believe another approach to the service is http://www.treasurydirect.gov/

- David

Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2098 of 35272
Subject: Re: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/20/2001 2:12 AM
Recommendations: 3

United States Savings Bonds are at http://www.savingsbonds.gov with separate links to specifically E/EE-Bonds, H/HH-Bonds, and I-Bonds.

EE-Bonds and I-Bonds can be purchased online with a credit card (the link to the place one can purchase them is on the www.savingsbonds.gov page or from the E/EE-Bond and I-Bond information pages). They can also be purchased through automatic direct debit of your checking or savings account on a monthly (or specific-month) basis. Most financial institutions will also allow you to purchase EE-Bonds and I-Bonds, especially if you are a customer of that institution. (I purchased my I-Bonds through my credit union.) Some employers also allow you to purchase EE-Bonds or I-Bonds through payroll deduction.

Do not use the www.treasurydirect.gov page except for the links to savings bonds--the Treasury Direct page is for Treasuries--notes, bills, bonds--that you can buy directly, but when they say "bonds" they are not referring to U.S. Savings Bonds. (On the other hand, if you are interested in buying Treasuries directly without paying commissions, http://www.treasurydirect.gov is the right place to go.)

2. What is the best way to track the value of a personal portfolio of savings bonds?

Can you connect through AOL and then as a separate task launch a web browser? (I can and do do that in Windows95 by using AOL to get a connection, and then when I start Internet Explorer it will use the AOL connection to get to the Internet.) If so, then when you use the web calculator to enter your Savings Bonds portfolio, you can then do a "File" "Save as" to save your portfolio, and at a later date you can open that file in your web browser and then update the date for computing the value of your bonds and it will get the current rate information from the Treasury. (By the way, you technically don't need to enter the serial number--that information is kept locally, but the pricing information is based strictly on the type of bond, i.e., I, EE, or HH, the face value, month/year of issue, and the month/year of which you want to see the value of the savings bond.)

I don't know of any bond calculator that is Macintosh-specific, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any.

Author: EditorialWe Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2100 of 35272
Subject: Re: Two Newbie Questions Date: 9/21/2001 2:10 PM
Mark speaks much truth.

I am a Mac user also. The savings bond wizard is NOT available for Mac. However, saving the HTML file on your browser and then re-opening it later works fine. All hail Mark for explaining how!

EdWe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement