Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Daughter graduated and got a job in MA in June. To pay for school, redemptions were made from mutual funds while she was still a VA resident. There may be fund distributions at year end, but the fund company still has her address in VA.

Will those distributions (if any) be considered VA income (since the fund company thinks she's a VA resident) or MA income (since that's now her legal residence)?

And if anyone has any experience dealing with part-year returns for either MA or VA, I'd be glad to hear about it.


~~ Alison
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.