Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[Two questions (actually three) from yet another novice investor:]]

Okey Dokey...let's see if I can give you some answers.

[[ 1) If my employer is contributing about $3,000 annually to a SEP fund of my choosing, can all of
this money be placed in a single Roth IRA, or is there a $2,000 max per account?]]

You can take the funds from you SEP account and convert them to a Roth IRA. No problem there. And that contribution could be in any amount. Simply don't confuse a "conversion" with a "contribution". They are two different animals. But the problem is that you may have to "close" your SEP account in order to make that conversion to the Roth IRA. And (assuming you qualify to make the conversion...based upon your AGI), you'll get hit with taxes on the conversion. So check with your broker to see what your options might be with respect to this account. The $2k max is for contributions...not conversions.

You can read more about this in my series on the Roth IRA in the Taxes FAQ area (archives). You might want to check it out.

[[ And if so, what
is the difference between the extra $1,000 and the base $2,000, since with a Roth , they are both
taxed as income?]]

Well, conversions will be taxed to you as additional income, where the contribution has never been claimed as a deduction, and is therefore not required to be taken back into income. Again, check out my Roth IRA posts in the Taxes FAQ area for more specific information.

[[ 2) If my employer makes the above contribution, can I still invest $2,000 of 'my own' money in the
above Roth account or some other, or have I already maxed out?]]

Assuming that your AGI allows you to make a contribution, you can certainly do so even if your employer contributes to your SEP account. In this case, you contribution would be limited to $2k per year.

[[ Thanks very much.]]

Hope this helps. Again, read my series on the Roth IRA for additional information and examples. You'll be glad that you did.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement