UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: outoffocus One star, 50 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 459029  
Subject: Two quotes Date: 4/20/2013 4:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I play this game called Wall Street Raider. I highly recommend it.

Whenever I open the game it always shows the "Trading Floor Cynic's Quote of the day".

I believe today's quotes are quite relevant to many of the recent discussions going on in the board.:

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." -- John Adams, 1826

"U.S. government debt is a safe haven the way Pearl Harbor was a safe haven in 1941." -- Niall Ferguson
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mattyfatbags One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421080 of 459029
Subject: Re: Two quotes Date: 4/20/2013 11:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm guessing John Adams was referring to one nation enslaving another nation. I don't find that quote relevant to today's world. Both the US and Japan have huge amounts of debt, but I doubt most citizens of either country feel like they are enslaved simply by their country of origin.

As to US government debt not being safe, I suppose an argument could be made for US debt slowly declining in value over a time frame of years or decades. But Pearl Harbor? Maybe you could elaborate how that scenario would play out? Would the Fed be bombed? I don't get it.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement