Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: puddyj Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: two seperate 401K's Date: 12/16/1999 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am currently 58 years old and marrying a woman 51 years old. I know that I can draw from my 401K at 591/2 but will we have to wait until she becomes 591/2 to withdraw from hers are do the two accounts become one?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 949 of 19021
Subject: Re: two seperate 401K's Date: 12/17/1999 7:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Retirement accounts such as 401k's and IRA's are owned by an individual, not by a couple. Your bride must withdraw funds according to her own age.

Now is a good time to review whom you each list as beneficiaries on those retirement accounts. Consider this: if either or both of you has children by a previous marriage, and you list each other as beneficiary of your account, then when the first of you dies, the survivor becomes the owner of both accounts (plus any property or investments you own jointly), and the deceased partner's children may inherit NOTHING (without some careful planning).

With the help of a good estate planning attorney, you can provide for each other's comfort and support while the survivor lives, and still leave to your respective children whatever property you each brought into your marriage. If either of you has children, you need a premarital agreement, a Trust, or both.

I wish you many long happy years together.

Trini

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement