UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: How much is enough? Date: 1/9/2011 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Two things:

A correction. My initial investment in our Boston condo was $5,000, not $10,000. I was chatting with my father about it (because it was top of mind thanks to this thread) and he reminded me that the downpayment was $5,000. He should know, because he loaned me the money for it ;) So my $5,000 "investment" mushroomed to $550,000 in 30 years. Not shabby. Better than a 15% annual CAGR across three tumultuous decades, even discounting terminal value for fees and taxes.

Indeed. Also, if your equity falls below 80%, you need to get PMI, which as I have found is becoming harder to get. I would think also that there would be issues with documenting income for someone who is no longer working, especially if one retired early but is not drawing SS income yet.

I have little doubt that I could get a $300,000 mortgage on a property valued at $550,000, which has been in continuous rental for two decades and which is cash flow positive. The only reason to do that would be to make the property "break even" to avoid taxes and perhaps to leverage up into a second property, which people building wealth in the real estate sector do all the time. A friend of ours is a "realtor", which is to say she sells houses to people, but what she really does is find dogs which are easily fix-up-able, buys them outright, and then turns them, and yes, she did it before, during, and after the crunch, so there is still money out there and loans to be had.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement