Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39864  
Subject: Re: stop me if you heard this one before... Date: 8/27/2004 12:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Typical. What they are not saying is that the proposals they so generously offered to the union all contained language they knew would be rejected out of hand. It is kind of like my stomping on your foot and then complaining that you hit me back. There will be no settlement prior to the season because neither side will blink; there is leverage only when there is money being lost, income for the players and revenue for the owners. And despite the rhetoric, the union dues will not last forever and it is not cheaper for owners to maintain leases and pay front office staff without fielding a team.

What you see in that press release is the owners jockeying for position in the court of public opinion. The players may or may not respond in public; if they do, it will be a meaningless war of words while lawyers do the actual work behind closed doors. If they don't, it will either be seen as a sign of weakness that they have no argument or as a sign of character that they will not rise to the bait. Hockey players earn less than basketball, baseball or football players and the owners have failed to market the sport to the same level. And yet as we have seen in recent years the physicality of the game, such as intentional slashing that can cripple a player, make it a high risk profession with a short career span.

Today's kids who grow up playing hockey have little or no other education (how much studying did Dany Heatley really do in Wisconsin?), let alone career plans after their playing days are over. They seek a system which allows them to earn their true market value and not be forced to pay for owners inability to manage a league. The owners seek a system where they do not have to be responsible for making had decisions to control payroll and operational expenses. There is no easy answer. Even in baseball, the Yankees have a payroll nearing $200m, regardless of their payroll tax still concentrating premier talent and outrageous salaries in one place.

The way I see it, investing in my Thrashers season tickets is like taking out a 2% CD; it may take a few months to earn a return, but if the season does not take place, I still earn a profit. And if it does, maybe there will be enough anger for me to be able to get All Star tickets.

Fuskie
Who has been through this twice with Baseball and will not lose any sleep over it...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement