UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: thrii Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76235  
Subject: Re: Indivdual Stocks vs Big-V Date: 5/9/2003 5:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
U need to be VERY careful in investing ur mom's retirement. I love mom <MY MOM> too but u don't want 2 create any hardship n ur relationship due 2 money problems. That's why I have a rule: I don't dip my pen in family ink.

REMEMBER: as a custodian, guardian, etc...u need 2 look at SUITABILITY & PRUDENCE when it comes to how u choose ur investments. Just because YOU are willing to take on more risk or a particular investment DOESN'T mean it's best for mom. And don't forget liability issues when u take it on urself.

<I had a 'friend' more like an idiot who's retired parents trusted. 70yrs old & he puts them in 40% Intl, 60% Aggressive Growth funds {some non-diversified}. Needless to say when the StkMkt train wreck came so did their funds! Lost half. Do u think Mom& Pop were happy! It ruined their relationship & good ol'd folks had 2 take a cut n pay. Last I knew what was going on...Dad was ready to disown let alone sue son's @#$!> Avoid getting urself into that. DO UR HOMEWORK, READ, Seek advice...

What r u investing for?
Time Frame?
Any special needs?
Any special restraints or requests by dear old mom?
Liquidity issues, etc?

You have been given some good advice from the previous respondees. Not only should u get a copy of
Bernstein's "Four Pillars of investing" but also
Ron Yolles "Getting Started in Retirement Planning"
***Yolles deals with investing psychology & strategies to make a retirement income last & grow.

One hint: People retirement's funds CANNOT take large deviations & large withdrawal rates in their money pools. ESPECIALLY in the 1st years of their retirement. Killer to having an income u can't alive or keeping their living standard the same over time. Check both books out.

also, check out the following website:

http://home.golden.net/~pjponzo/gummy_stuff.htm

Retired prof who has done some great work on retirement, withdrawal rates, etc. Wealth of information.

Good luck. Be wise & care. Your mom will love u for it.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement