UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 737178  
Subject: Uber Good Date: 12/5/2012 1:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have a friend who hates it when I use the word "uber" as an adjective. She would let this slide though because it's a noun (and a good free market story):

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/334788/let-taxi-app-r...

Excerpts:

A San Francisco start-up, Uber is a car service that you “hail” with an app on your smartphone. In Washington, where I live, it is a life-changer. It’s a bit more expensive than conventional cabs, but because I can’t hail a cab in my suburban neighborhood, and calling for one can take hours (if they show up at all), a fast and reliable car service is a real boon. The fact that it’s a much nicer car that has been cleaned more than once since Jimmy Carter was president is a bonus.

When Uber enters a new city, the last thing it does is ask for permission. Instead, it just adheres to existing laws and hopes it can build up enough popularity before the regulators come to shut it down.

“If you put yourself in the position to ask for something that is already legal, you’ll find you’ll never be able to roll out,” Uber founder Travis Kalanick told the New York Times. “The corruption of the taxi industries will make it so you will never get to market.”

Of course, one frustration I have is that Uber’s core customers are precisely the sort of affluent and hip urbanites who routinely vote to empower regulators to meddle in more important parts of our lives — in health care, manufacturing, etc. And while the thought of them getting what they deserve has its appeal, I’d rather Uber survive and its customers learn from its example. That would be a lesson worth its weight in medallions.

-----

I wonder if Jedi would agree with that last paragraph? In spirit, sure... but is it better for Uber to survive and show them the folly of their ways or for Uber to die and make them suffer due to their folly?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement