UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59852  
Subject: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 12:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
http://onlineathens.com/uga/2012-04-03/uga-scientists-kill-c...
<snip>
UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide
The electrified coil generated a magnetic field that alternated directions 100,000 times per second, heating up the nanoparticles.

The superheated nanoparticles killed the cancer cells within half an hour, but left nearby healthy cells intact, Zhao found when he examined the mice after the nanoparticle treatment.
Doctors have been using heat as a medical treatment for years, Zhao said.
But the promise of the nanoparticle rust is that doctors may be able to better target cancer cells without harming healthy cells, he said.

“It is very localized to the tumor,” he said.

The treatment is the first the researchers know of using this method, called magnetic iron oxide nanoparticle-induced hyperthermia.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41848 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 12:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the article. A colleague and good friend of mine has been working in this field for at least 20 years. He had a PhD in Electrical Engineering and a stellar technical career in microwave electronics. Then, at about age 50, he decided to get MD and M.Sc. degrees and start doing research in RF and microwave therapeutic medicine. I talked him into contributing a chapter about the topic in a couple of my books. He and others were only talking about adding nano-particles 6 or 7 years ago because that technology wasn't really ready to be exploited. He's still doing research at Drexel, but I haven't seen or spoken with him about the research in over a year. I expect to see him this June at a meeting in Montreal and will be sure to bring up these research advances and get his take on the advances. He is always so upbeat and he loves to talk about the field.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41851 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 2:09 AM
The treatment is the first the researchers know of using this method, called magnetic iron oxide nanoparticle-induced hyperthermia.

Lindytoes

Any alternating magnetic field creates heat-causing eddy currents in any metal including non-ferrous. So any metallic nanoparticle –particularly with one that has an affinity with a cancerous growth – will work.

It may work with Buckyballs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene ) that have an inserted metallic element.

My curiosity in this is, as above, a metallic affinity for a particular organ such as iodine for the thyroid. What we need now is to map that further for other organs susceptible to cancer.

MichaelR

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41852 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 2:27 AM
Recommendations: 1
Salaryguru, you may be interested in this.

Several years ago, being a hi-fi nut, I researched the various tweaks that supposedly improved recorded sound. Items such as colored bands on the circumference of a CD, that sort of thing. However, one actually worked: demagnetizing a CD with a bulk tape eraser. Obviously there’s no ferrous material in a CD that could be ‘demagnetized’ so I looked elsewhere for why.

What I found was eddy currents from the bulk eraser heated the reflective aluminum substrate sputtered onto the pressed plastic of the CD and so melted errors (where the substrate crossed a pit so it read as a land) back into the pressed part.

The result is noticeable: better bass and highs.

MichaelR

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41853 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 2:56 AM
Recommendations: 3
Any alternating magnetic field creates heat-causing eddy currents in any metal including non-ferrous.

That's true, but I don't think that's the fundamental principle being exploited in this therapy. Nano-particles are too small to produce significant eddy currents at the frequencies used in this therapy. All of these RF therapies depend on heating up cells to a high enough temperature that it kills them. The goal is to achieve enough heat on the specific cancerous cells without killing too many healthy cells nearby. Typically they try to use very small, directional "antennas" (I think this article refers to them as coils) to pinpoint the cancer cells.

The ferrous nano-particles are actually injected into the area with cancerous cells. Ferrous material is polar - it tends to have a positive and negative direction. When electromagnetic signals are focused on the area, the ferrous nano-particles will tend to rotate at the frequency of the signal. There will be some resonant frequency that causes significant rotation and the rotation will create heat because of the friction between the particle and the cell. It is the same principle that allows microwave ovens to heat up food. The difference is that microwave ovens operate at the resonant frequency of water (which is in almost everything) while this therapy can operate at a frequency determined by the size of the ferrous nano-particle.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41854 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 3:26 AM
Recommendations: 5
What I found was eddy currents from the bulk eraser heated the reflective aluminum substrate sputtered onto the pressed plastic of the CD and so melted errors (where the substrate crossed a pit so it read as a land) back into the pressed part.

The result is noticeable: better bass and highs.

Interesting. Do they still make and sell bulk erasers? It seems like magnetic media is becoming obsolete. In a few years, people may not be able to try this technique because no one will have the equipment.

I was talking to a friend the other day about some of our dated research data and reports. Since I was in graduate school, I have seen data recording evolution go from punch cards to mainframe files to 8 inch floppy disks to 5 inch floppy disks to 3.5 inch floppy disks to memory sticks and flash cards to . . . I also remember Bernoulli drives. There are probably other data storing techniques I've forgotten. I still remember when the Chair of the department encouraged me to put all of my dissertation research and results on magnetic tape to be sure it would be preserved. I wonder where that useless piece of magnetic tape is today.

Sound and video recording has gone through similar evolutions.

Because of my interest in history and archaeology, this evolving media topic interests me a lot. Prehistoric natives pecked messages on rocks that we can still see today. We don't know what they signify, but we can see them. The Spanish explorers wrote diaries of their experiences in the New World on paper. Many of their diaries are still accessible and can be read today. There are problems with accuracy of their descriptions and with translations of 500 year old Spanish language, but we still have the records to read. On the other hand, I have data that is only a few decades old on large floppy disks that are essentially impossible to read because no one has appropriate disk drives.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41872 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/5/2012 4:23 PM
Any alternating magnetic field creates heat-causing eddy currents in any metal including non-ferrous.

That's true, but I don't think that's the fundamental principle being exploited in this therapy. Nano-particles are too small to produce significant eddy currents at the frequencies used in this therapy. All of these RF therapies depend on heating up cells to a high enough temperature that it kills them. The goal is to achieve enough heat on the specific cancerous cells without killing too many healthy cells nearby. Typically they try to use very small, directional "antennas" (I think this article refers to them as coils) to pinpoint the cancer cells.

The ferrous nano-particles are actually injected into the area with cancerous cells. Ferrous material is polar - it tends to have a positive and negative direction. When electromagnetic signals are focused on the area, the ferrous nano-particles will tend to rotate at the frequency of the signal. There will be some resonant frequency that causes significant rotation and the rotation will create heat because of the friction between the particle and the cell. It is the same principle that allows microwave ovens to heat up food. The difference is that microwave ovens operate at the resonant frequency of water (which is in almost everything) while this therapy can operate at a frequency determined by the size of the ferrous nano-particle.

-salaryguru

I wonder the rotation of a ferrous nano-particle in an alternating UHF magnetic field. Since the particle has a low mass it may yet at those high frequencies the nano-particle may remain stationary and just heat. If the latter then it appears the deciding factor is the frequency used to produce heat.\

A quartz-controlled magnetic field can be at several gigahertz: look at radar systems.

Possibly their area of research will cover that.

As to your other post about media storage. Excellent point. In less than a decade we’ve made obsolete just about all. Laser discs, anyone? My first computer had a cassette drive and now try finding floppy drives on newer computers.

Remember Hollerith cards? Remember $20 million computers having a total of 64 bits and all that IBM disc swapping? Long gone to be replaced by something else that is now out moded.

Are we having fun yet?

MichaelR

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41900 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/7/2012 2:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Even for music, formats change.
There are a LOT of rumors that the major labels are abandoning the CD format this year
http://audaud.com/2012/03/audio-news-for-march-20-2012/

Vickifool

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41908 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/7/2012 7:29 PM
Even for music, formats change.
There are a LOT of rumors that the major labels are abandoning the CD format this year

I hope it doesn't go away soon. If you buy a CD you get essentially unlimited usage across platforms, as opposed to the iTunes model where you are limited to five (or whatever).

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42269 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/24/2012 11:24 AM
xykesix says

... If you buy a CD you get essentially unlimited usage across platforms, as opposed to the iTunes model where you are limited to five (or whatever).

Apple abandoned that model over three years ago. All tracks sold by iTunes are nor DRM-free so you can play copies on as many devices as you please.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42275 of 59852
Subject: Re: UGA scientists kill cancers with iron oxide Date: 4/24/2012 1:10 PM
Apple abandoned that model over three years ago. All tracks sold by iTunes are nor DRM-free so you can play copies on as many devices as you please.

Good for them. Too late for me to migrate back to iTunes though.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement