Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: isaacsmama Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121564  
Subject: UGMA or ? Date: 12/11/2000 3:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My 5 year old son has an UGMA account (I am custodian) which is up to $60,000. It consists of stocks and an Index fund. However, he (I) gets hit with a tax bill every year. Is there a way to convert some/all of this into a Roth or other tax deferred account? Would this be a good idea? Also, with the Roth, if it is not used for education, what happens to it? (He is an only child).
Thanks!
Elaine Bush
Carmel, CA
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42773 of 121564
Subject: Re: UGMA or ? Date: 12/11/2000 4:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
My 5 year old son has an UGMA account (I am custodian) which is up to $60,000. It consists of stocks and an Index fund. However, he (I) gets hit with a tax bill every year. Is there a way to convert some/all of this into a Roth or other tax deferred account?

No. To make Roth contributions one must have earned income, e.g. wages.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: isaacsmama Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42781 of 121564
Subject: Re: UGMA or ? Date: 12/11/2000 5:24 PM
Thanks very much for the clarification.

One more quickie....about my own portfolio.....
One of the team leaders on the Retirement Seminar advised that I would be better off with a Roth IRA (for myself) BEFORE maxing out my 403b(7) contributions. This is contrary to advice I have received in the past.What is your opinion?
Thanks, again,
Elaine

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42782 of 121564
Subject: Re: UGMA or ? Date: 12/11/2000 5:40 PM
One of the team leaders on the Retirement Seminar advised that I would be better off with a Roth IRA (for myself) BEFORE maxing out my 403b(7) contributions. This is contrary to advice I have received in the past.What is your opinion?

It's not an issue I've thought about, so I don't have an opinion worth hearing. Sorry.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement