Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My 5 year old son has an UGMA account (I am custodian) which is up to $60,000. It consists of stocks and an Index fund. However, he (I) gets hit with a tax bill every year. Is there a way to convert some/all of this into a Roth or other tax deferred account? Would this be a good idea? Also, with the Roth, if it is not used for education, what happens to it? (He is an only child).
Thanks!
Elaine Bush
Carmel, CA
Print the post Back To Top
My 5 year old son has an UGMA account (I am custodian) which is up to $60,000. It consists of stocks and an Index fund. However, he (I) gets hit with a tax bill every year. Is there a way to convert some/all of this into a Roth or other tax deferred account?

No. To make Roth contributions one must have earned income, e.g. wages.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Thanks very much for the clarification.

One more quickie....about my own portfolio.....
One of the team leaders on the Retirement Seminar advised that I would be better off with a Roth IRA (for myself) BEFORE maxing out my 403b(7) contributions. This is contrary to advice I have received in the past.What is your opinion?
Thanks, again,
Elaine
One of the team leaders on the Retirement Seminar advised that I would be better off with a Roth IRA (for myself) BEFORE maxing out my 403b(7) contributions. This is contrary to advice I have received in the past.What is your opinion?

It's not an issue I've thought about, so I don't have an opinion worth hearing. Sorry.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Advertisement