Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: buznitz One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: UGMA TO EDU IRA Date: 10/17/2001 12:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a UGMA account for my granddaughter that is less than $2000. Next year can I convert that to an education IRA without complications?
IRA has her mother as custodian. Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54662 of 121219
Subject: Re: UGMA TO EDU IRA Date: 10/17/2001 1:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Funny, I had someone call my office today with this very question.

Here's the catch, according to the rules for UGMA accounts, the funds must be used exclusively for the benefit of the child for which it was set up. This means whatever is in that account when the child turns of legal age, that the funds are turned over to that child. There is no other beneficiary.

In the 529 educational accounts, the beneficiary can be changed. So if the account is set up for a child, the owner can legally change the beneficiary before the child uses the funds earmarked for education. So for this reason there have been concerns about the legality of the transfer of UGMA accounts into 529 educational accounts.

However, since this has come up so many times, there are some investment companies, like Putnam, for example, that will segregate the contributions put into a 529 account between those for which the beneficiary cannot be changed and for those contributions made after a transfer from an UGMA account for which the beneficiary may be changed.

So since this is more of a legal question than a tax question, I would recommend before transferring any UGMA funds that you get a legal opinion from the legal department of the trustee of the 529 plan to which you will make this contribution.

Best wishes.

Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54682 of 121219
Subject: Re: UGMA TO EDU IRA Date: 10/17/2001 11:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
I have a UGMA account for my granddaughter that is less than $2000. Next year can I convert that to an education IRA without complications?
IRA has her mother as custodian. Thanks

Unlike acm4tax I see no complications. EdIRAs are not 529 plans. At majorty an EdIRA, like the UGMA, becomes the property of the adult child. So the point he makes about transfers to 529 plans do not apply.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement