Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Um, are not tax attorney and tax preparer separate jobs? If I were going to try to set myself up as a corporation, or if I had to understand what a sole proprietorship is (I don't, whew), then I'd be talking to the lawyer. If it were just a case of a complicated return for an individual, then the tax preparer is probably what you want, because he or she knows about every line of your 1040, whereas the lawyer is sort of a big-picture guy.

You might think about "Enrolled Agents." These are accountants who have passed examinations that allow them to represent clients in front of the IRS. (That's different from the guy from H&R Block, who will come along with you but can only tell them what they, the tax preparer, did.) I know Roy=TMFTaxes is an EA. Phil=TMFExRO might be.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.