Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Um, how about Form 1040? You've probably got your pay stubs from all of 1999, the Form 1040 should have arrived in the mail (if it hasn't, pick one up at your library or download one off the IRS site), and you've got 3 months to practise.

This must sound pompous but it isn't meant to be. If people at least attempt to do their own taxes, they will know something of the whys of the forms, as opposed to merely going through a spreadsheet with all the calculations hidden.

Having calculated on your own, you may wish to go to a paid preparer. That's fine in my opinion, there are lots of reasons why it is even a good idea. Same with MacinTax or whatever it's called.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.