UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ibbieta Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63204  
Subject: Re: My "Top 10 Great Overrated" List Date: 6/23/2008 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Um, how can a true story be "clichéd"?

I doubt very very very much that all the events depicted in that movie are based on Schindler's life during WWII. The basic frame of the story might be very true but here are examples that I remember from when I saw the movie (during theatrical release):

Woman is telling camp workers that they are building the thing wrong, head dude shoots her and tells camp workers to do it her way.

Guards interrogating prisoners in a line, shoot one of them, little boy says that he knows the guilty party and points to recently shot guy.

Head Nazi lazily sniping prisoners in the camp.

The final speech. Oh, that speech!

The Ben Kinsley character, every second he was on screen and everything he did.

The framing scenes before and after the whole black-and-white movie.

The sexual menace directed at the secretary woman by head Nazi dude that was obviously never going to go beyond that.

I hated the lame red-dress girl but I understand not everyone was watching a bunch of pre-color films at that time and seeing the same technique repeated. (It was popular to "paint" frames colors or color certain elements in the film before color photography came down in price.)

Speaking of the red dress girl, Schindler supposedly has his epiphany while riding a horse and seeing the rounding up and devastation of people's lives in the distance. A well-honored trick to remove the audience from emotional involvement in a scene is to film it as if it takes place in the distance. Spielberg fakes this by going in closer and showing details that Schindler could not have seen. Maybe I'm just forgetting the binoculars he used but that scene struck me as a cheat and seemed to gloss the fact that Schindler was in that muck earlier.

So, yeah, the story of a bad businessman saving some people's lives is nice and all but the movie about it was just not good. At the time, I believe Malaysia censored the film as "Jewish propaganda". I do not agree with the censorship, or that there is anything wrong with propaganda Jewish or otherwise, but I still think that is an accurate assessment of the movie. Without the built-in emotional weight of WWII and the Holocaust the movie was a nothing trifle. Think about this; imagine there was no holocaust or true story or that this was a science fiction story instead. How much of the movie is lost if the extra-element, true-storiness is taken away?

Most, all?

The movie pulled its gravity from history but fills its screentime with cheap ploys, cribbed from dozens of movies and stories before. The dichotomy between the loftiness the movie was attempting and the dreck it was shoveling to get there became amusing well before Schindler's heartwarming speech melted the hearts of war-weary, German soldiers causing them to disobey direct orders and spare the lives of strangers.

Oh, some more:
The head Nazi guy yelling out Heil Hitler or Germany before being hanged.

Every scene with the little scamp and his resourcefulness.

Every Jew in the camp was a wonderful, full person except that they were completely two-dimensional like everyone else in the movie.

How clean and nice the camp looked.

The smoke from the candle.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Hollywood Stock Exchange Game
Trade those actors and movies on the HSX board.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement