Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Um, the 401K contribution is not a percentage of gross pay, but of net pay. So your withholdings have nothing to do with how much get in your 401K. However, you can up your 401k contributions, and up your deductions, in order to keep you takehome pay roughly the same. This would send the money to your 401k and decrease the refund, thereby accomplishing what you were probably trying to say.

In case a lurker should misread the quoted post out of context, changes in your 401(k) contribution automatically cause the related changes to your withholding. Do not adjust your W-4 to compensate for a change in your 401(k) contribution.

In the particular situation being discussed in this thread OP is getting a big refund and wanted to free up cash for increased 401(k) deductions by decreasing withholding.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.