Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 52507  
Subject: Re: The Triple Crown Is Nonsense Date: 10/5/2012 10:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Umm... Baseball is a religion. Sabermetrics is a science.

The point though is that it is cult-like behavior to rely on one metric to the exclusion of all others, which is precisely what the author did. He started with a decision that he wanted Trout for MVP and then worked backward. People do this all the time. Of course, this is not good science.

I was just having fun.

These debates are great, a part of baseball. Who's better, Williams or DiMaggio? Mays or Aaron? Cabrera or Trout?

But I disagree about the conclusion, then evidence thing. The dispute is over the quality of evidence. The fact is that BA and RBI aren't very good measures (mainly because they were invented by a cricket writer who didnt really understand the game.) I disagree with the writer about HR. The stuff about extra bases is important though. A player who hits 100 singles and steals 30 bases is the same as a player who hits 70 singles and 30 doubles, maybe moreso since SB threats tend to help following batters.

Anyway, I too think Sabermaticians can be overly wonky and cultish, but so are traditionalists.

Yes, I live in Detroit. That said, I can't imagine not voting a Triple Crown winner MVP.

I live in Ann Arbor. Love Miggy. Hope he's MVP too. Think he will be. The triple Crown is a remarkable achievement. (I grew up worshipping Yaz.) But MVP is an opinion and I can see the argument for Trout too. I think won't get it though because baseball is ultimately a game of tradition, not simply stats, whether those stats are OBP and WHIP or BA and ERA.

I particularly can't imagine not voting a Triple Crown winner MVP when his closest competitor played for a more talented team in a much more talented lineup yet missed the post season.

I wouldn't worry about it. Cabrera willbe MVP. Trout Rookie of the Year.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement