Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9947  
Subject: Re: Sad today Date: 12/17/2011 9:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Umm...it's not about "allowing" - it isn't like the young lady asked for permission. She just got up. Now remember Ish is watching the rest of the class - unless she was ignoring the rest of the class and literally standing right next to the student, there is no issue about "letting" her get up out of her seat.

In the end, it really is about allowing. If you establish a zero tolerance rule from day one and stay consistent, then you are preventing it, not just "not allowing" it. I will get ragged on for being too simplistic, but watch the Dog Whisperer, very insightful. The dogs quickly learn who the alpha dog is and respect him. People are very social too and a brain evolved to be social WANTS rules and boundaries and will test them to find where they are. Once they know where they, they usually conform. Sociopaths are an exception that can't be dealt with logically. Sometimes you get those.

I made her move back to her seat, after warning them to stop talking three times AFTER warning 3 times. That demonstrates weakness. Sounds like the United Nations "If you don't give up you nukes, we will send you a very angry letter!" That won't do it.

This is really the same thing...
Gotta follow through. After she got up the first time, isolate her

Being strong, being in command is not being mean. It is mean to let kids think they can get away with stuff and disruption others.

I have always wondered, if you gave your students the opportunity to establish a "Learner's bill of rights" on the first day of class, would they surprise with the content? Would they actually come up with rules that create a good learning environment? And if they did, would they help enforce them with peer pressure, thus making the teacher's job easier? I have always wanted to see that experiment. Would be fun in a civics/history class dealing with the constitution. Make them all sign it and post it on the wall for the year.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement