UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734963  
Subject: Unbeleivable Date: 6/26/2009 9:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I amazed at the speed in which this country is destroying itself - and all this within the first few months of power. What will America look like in 2012? I shudder to think.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467723 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/26/2009 9:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I amazed at the speed in which this country is destroying itself - and all this within the first few months of power. What will America look like in 2012? I shudder to think.
wolverine

I'm shuddering too. Just him getting elected, someone with no experience...what in the heck were people thinking? We're going to have change alright.

LD

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467732 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/26/2009 10:37 PM
Recommendations: 5

That's why I'm preparing my 2012 platform. I promise universal bacon. Do you realize that 42 million Americans don't have bacon? Bacon is a right.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467757 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 8:57 AM
Recommendations: 4
That's why I'm preparing my 2012 platform. I promise universal bacon. Do you realize that 42 million Americans don't have bacon? Bacon is a right.
----------------------------------------------------
Sigh!! Out of the 42 million that have no bacon, 12 million are illegally here, 20 million make over $75,000 a year and can afford bacon but chose not to, and 9.99 million are between the ages of 25 and 35 and would rather buy something else because they believe they are impervious to the allure of bacon. There are really only 7 people who want bacon but truly can't afford it, last i checked they lived in the pacific northwest in a town called Tam Tam.

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467778 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 6
Sigh!! Out of the 42 million that have no bacon, 12 million are illegally here, 20 million make over $75,000 a year and can afford bacon but chose not to, and 9.99 million are between the ages of 25 and 35 and would rather buy something else because they believe they are impervious to the allure of bacon. There are really only 7 people who want bacon but truly can't afford it, last i checked they lived in the pacific northwest in a town called Tam Tam.

I believe some of those 42 million that have no bacon are simply refusing to buy it on religious grounds (or are using turkey bacon, which doesn't count), and certainly there are a few who still cling to the belief that real bacon is bad for you. They're probably willing to sell their bacon "credits" at a reasonable price, so as you point out, this universal bacon plank is really a red herring.

G.F.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467781 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 10:47 AM
Recommendations: 2

I believe some of those 42 million that have no bacon are simply refusing to buy it on religious grounds (or are using turkey bacon, which doesn't count), and certainly there are a few who still cling to the belief that real bacon is bad for you. They're probably willing to sell their bacon "credits" at a reasonable price, so as you point out, this universal bacon plank is really a red herring.

G.F.

Every single economist that I have talked to says that we need universal bacon.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467782 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 10:58 AM
Recommendations: 3
"Every single economist that I have talked to says that we need universal bacon. "

Don't you realize bacon is the 'food of the poor'? That it is low cost but high fat and high salt and high cholesterol?

That any attempt to increase the usuage will bring on claims of 'race' and 'class discrimination'?

Don't you realize that in California, they give 'steak stamps'? Why should struggling families on welfare be forced to consume 'low class' bacon?

Isn't this a conspiracy by the corporate interests to promote an inferior product to gullible uneducated poor people to push a product that is known to cause major health problems when consumed in prodigiuos amounts?

How can we not have gigantic labels on each package telling us how the Sturgeon General has proclaimed that 'eating bacon is harmful to your health' , or 'eating well done bacon may lead to cancer'? Or 'you'll look and weigh like a pig if you eat too much bacon'?

Why isn't CA and OR leading a charge to stamp out bacon usage?

Why isn't Rev Sharpton and Rev Wright ranting about how horrible it is that 'people of color' have few choices of food they can afford, and bacon is horrible for them, and something needs to be done?

Oh..the guilt....

I can just see it now...on page 1030 of the Jobs Destruction Act....the EPA is allowed to regulate bacon sales because of the smoke produced while cooking and the disposal of the 'drippings' that are potentially toxic. Only 'certified chefs' in 'certified kitchens' meeting the EPA design for smoke and dripping control will be allowed to serve cooked bcon.

t.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467793 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 11:31 AM
Don't you realize bacon is the 'food of the poor'? That it is low cost but high fat and high salt and high cholesterol?

That any attempt to increase the usuage will bring on claims of 'race' and 'class discrimination'?

Don't you realize that in California, they give 'steak stamps'? Why should struggling families on welfare be forced to consume 'low class' bacon? - tele

---------------------

There might have been a time when bacon was food for poor people but those days are gone forever. Bacon has shot up in price tremendously in the last few years. Most packages are 12 ounces and sell for close to $3.00.

Not to mention bacon cooks down to where you lose 50% to 70% of the original volume. A 12 ounce package of bacon turns into a few ounces of meat and fat; losing a good bit of weight as water and bacon grease.

Bacon ain't cheap no more.

Art

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467801 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 11:42 AM
Recommendations: 1
Every single economist that I have talked to says that we need universal bacon.
MC

Well we already have "universal pork" in the congress, does that count?

G.F.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467812 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 12:37 PM
Why isn't CA and OR leading a charge to stamp out bacon usage?

Busted! Your Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog is Illegal

http://www.sogoodblog.com/2008/02/11/busted-your-bacon-wrapp...

The bacon wrapped hot dog is a staple of Los Angeles street food and everyone from daytime shoppers to late-night revelers seems to enjoy these so-called "heart attack dogs."

There's only one problem with these bacon-wrapped hot dogs that everyone loves: they're illegal. In Los Angeles, the law says that hot dogs sold by street vendors must be either steamed or boiled. For the bacon-wrapped hot dog to cook properly and taste delicious, it needs to be grilled. But grilling a hot dog is a violation of the L.A. health code for street vendors. Sadly, this is not a law that goes unenforced. There have been a number of different reports of food vendors being raided by cops.

Tele got his wish. Since OR does what CA does but several years later, I expect it to happen here in 2012.

--fleg

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467839 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 1:53 PM
There's only one problem with these bacon-wrapped hot dogs that everyone loves: they're illegal. In Los Angeles, the law says that hot dogs sold by street vendors must be either steamed or boiled. For the bacon-wrapped hot dog to cook properly and taste delicious, it needs to be grilled. But grilling a hot dog is a violation of the L.A. health code for street vendors.

Ya know, I'm not one of those people who live outside the US because they disagree with the government. Well, okay, so I do disagree with the government, at the least the current administration, but that's not why I'm here. I like it in the states, I enjoy my trips NOB, and I still have fond memories of growing up there.

But every time I read about another of the billions of regs you guys live with up there I just shake my head and thank my stars I live down here where I'm free to go out and poison myself with unregulated street food if I so desire.

I'm not even a huge fan of bacon wrapped hot dogs, although I have eaten them, but I may just go out and order a couple later today just in protest.

G.F.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467840 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 1:59 PM
I'm not one of those people who live outside the US because they disagree with the government. Well, okay, so I do disagree with the government, at the least the current administration, but that's not why I'm here. I like it in the states

The states? What about the provinces? You have something against the country of your birth?

Do you have to pay income tax in Mexico? If you renounced your US citizenship and took Mexican citizenship and stopped paying US taxes, is there someplace in Mexico you could transfer your assets to avoid confiscation by the IRS?

Law says you have to keep paying US taxes for 10 years after giving up citizenship. That's a law I'd seriously consider violating if things keep going the way they are. I'd say it's a moral duty to pay taxes while a citizen and a moral imperative to stop feeding the beast if you're not.

--fleg

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467858 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 3:02 PM
The states? What about the provinces? You have something against the country of your birth?

Maybe because when we go back we're waaayyy out of the mainstream, although I know they're even more regulated it doesn't seem so "In your face" as it does in the states. Maybe I'd notice it more if I went to Toronto or Vancouver.

Do you have to pay income tax in Mexico?

No, because I don't earn any of it down here. I just pay US taxes.

If you renounced your US citizenship and took Mexican citizenship and stopped paying US taxes, is there someplace in Mexico you could transfer your assets to avoid confiscation by the IRS? Law says you have to keep paying US taxes for 10 years after giving up citizenship.

I can get Mexican citizenship without renouncing my US citizenship (the US recognizes multiple citizenship now, I'm US and Canadian). And renouncing my US citizenship is something I'd never consider, no matter how bad things get up there. So I've never looked into havens for my investments. I'm happy having them entrusted to Vanguard.

That's a law I'd seriously consider violating if things keep going the way they are. I'd say it's a moral duty to pay taxes while a citizen and a moral imperative to stop feeding the beast if you're not.
--fleg

Good luck. Write me if the prison lets you have contact with the outside world.

G.F.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467862 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 3:27 PM
Good luck. Write me if the prison lets you have contact with the outside world.

The plan is contingent on finding a haven both for my assets and my body that is beyond the reach of the US. I doubt that any such places exist that would be nice to live in. Iran is out because of my ethnic background and Venezuela's situation reminds me too much of what the US will be like in another decade or less.

--fleg

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467865 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 3:31 PM
Tasmania, Madagascar and the Saychelle Islands look suitably remote, at least on a map.

You might get a good deal on land in the Saychelles if rumors of impending Great Flood due to CO2 are circulating.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467868 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 3:42 PM
Seychelles are above sea level.....so that isn't a worry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seychelles

volcanic in nature...

I think the ones you are thinking about are in the Indian ocean...

Cross these off your list

"Take the Maldives, for instance—an island nation in the Indian ocean. The highest point in the entire chain of islands is only 2.4 meters (8 feet), and most of the land is much lower. So it doesn’t take much of a change in sea level to wipe out vast amounts of land, and if there’s a bad storm or an unusually high tide, the resulting floods can be devastating—covering the vast majority of the land, fouling fresh water supplies, and wiping out crops. Unfortunately, such floods have been occurring more and more frequently in recent years. The nation’s government has for several years been working on the construction of an artificial island nearby, called Hulhumale, which will be able to serve as a new home for many of the residents if an evacuation becomes necessary."

"There’s also Tuvalu, in the Pacific ocean between Hawaii and Australia, with a maximum elevation of 4.6 meters (15 feet). Although the nation has fewer than 11,000 citizens, they are sufficiently convinced of its imminent disappearance that they have already begun to evacuate. New Zealand has agreed to grant “environmental refugee” status to 75 Tuvaluans per year, but according to some estimates, the nation may be entirely covered with water in as little as 50 years. Some of the other island nations most seriously at risk are Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, and Tonga."

http://itotd.com/articles/499/disappearing-island-nations/

t

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467911 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 9:28 PM
OCD:

. . . this universal bacon plank is really a kippered herring.

sunray
a man who knows BREAKFAST on several continents

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467915 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/27/2009 10:11 PM
Venezuela's situation reminds me too much of what the US will be like in another decade or less.

--fleg

Heck, I wasn't all that fond of Venezuela when I worked there, and that was before Chavez. I can't even imagine thinking about retiring there. Of course, I lived in one of the crappier parts of the country.

Angel Falls was nice though.
http://www.salto-angel.com/

G.F.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467949 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/28/2009 12:30 AM
"That's why I'm preparing my 2012 platform. I promise universal bacon. Do you realize that 42 million Americans don't have bacon? Bacon is a right.

Your gonna ave a toug road to oe.

I fully expect that by 2012 bacon willbe a distant memory. Polloried worse tan even tobacco.

Look at the focus of wy.

Firsty, it is meat. THere are a number of Dem groups that are just flat out anti-meat.

Next, bacon is an unhealty meat. Nationalized health care will be massively budget busting by 2012, Forcin healthier eating should have been institued some time in late 2010, as it is only fait since we are in this together, we have a very real responsibility to one another - Wouldn't it be irresponsible to eat someting simply because it tastes good -0 when the health consequences might impact all of society?

Then last, but by no means least, why should muslim nations trust us, if we eat port? It is a direct afront to Muslim sensiibilties, certainly if it takes us weeks to notice they are murdering thuigs in Iran, we owe respect to the wider Muslim world, bacon???? What an afront to Islam

It doesn't look good for bacon.
"

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467951 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/28/2009 7:44 AM
"I fully expect that by 2012 bacon will be a distant memory. Polloried worse tan even tobacco." (pilloried?)

Not only that, it takes ENERGY to make bacon.....even worse if you grill it outside on a highly polluting carbon burning grill. HOrrors....folks even use CHARcoal , as in Carbon, to make it. That must stop!

I'm amazed that folks will even be allowed to keep their fossil fuel burning stoves. Before long, you'll have to replace every gas stove with an 'carbon neutral' electric stove - run off renewable energy. No coal power plant for you to cook bacon.

The package size will probably have to be expanded since the list of 'health risks' will probably take 4 pages alone....and must be on every package on type size large enough for a person with 20/100 vision to be able to read without glasses. For blind people, it will have to contain a microchip that announces all the health risks, and the maximum allowed serving size, when the package senses human hands.

You have no clue as to how far the 'food police' are going to go under Obama.....just look at Queen Pelosi......and her silly grin from California...

t.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467952 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/28/2009 8:18 AM
Recommendations: 1

Nonsense. All we gotta do is find a "kitten" angle to it, like fish are really sea kittens, and all will be well.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467963 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/28/2009 9:27 AM
well maybe we'll be forced to eat soy bacon.

ohhhh sounds so tasty doesn't it?

LuckyDog

breakfast this morning:

Oatmeal and a strip of turkey(gobble gobble) bacon

coffee

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467977 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/28/2009 11:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
I fully expect that by 2012 bacon willbe a distant memory...

Next, bacon is an unhealty meat...

Nationalized health care will be massively budget busting by 2012...

Then last, but by no means least, why should muslim nations trust us, if we eat pork? ...

lowstudent

It looks great for bacon down here.

Worrying about whether it's unhealthy or not is waaayyy down the list of things Mexicans worry about. Think about it for a minute, Mexicans are the biggest per capita consumers of Coca Cola (or Coke products) in the world, and commonly eat from unlicensed, uninspected, unregulated street vendors. Does that tell you something about their interest in eating healthy?

Pork probably vies with chicken as the most common meat down here.

National health care, say what?

Mexico really isn't all that concerned with how they are perceived by Muslim countries. And the percentage of the population that has religious proscriptions against pork is tiny.

I expect bacon to be available down here well after I'm gone.

G.F.

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467982 of 734963
Subject: Re: Unbeleivable Date: 6/28/2009 12:24 PM
I can't believe the dems slapped a last minute 350 page amendment to the energy bill and allowed zero time for the legislative body to even read it,let alone debate it.

It's like a selfish grandchild using their alzheimer-impaired grandparents credit cards & dropping the bills in front of them saying,
"Here...sign this".

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement