No. of Recommendations: 0
The first green spears of crocus are poking up out of the soil and mulch. It's freezing cold outside and Spring is making a debut of sorts. I've seen it up in February but never this early. Very weird.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
My crocus have already started to bloom. Daffodils are poking up from the ground. There are a few trees blooming. The nasty cold air is going to zap everything tomorrow.

PSU
If anything is happening here, it must be under the snow or up in the trees. I can't see it. It is really cold here. Looks like about 0F.
My lettuce and cilantro bolted around Christmas time. The broccoli also started to flower when the heads were about the size of a quarter or half dollar. The deer ate the cabbage and most of the cauliflower - cut one head of cauliflower yesterday the size of a silver dollar. The weather guy on TV say that its going to get down around 25 degrees tonight & tomorrow night, him. ;-(

C.J.V. - time to start my tomatoes and chili peppers, me
I've seen it up in February but never this early.

Two or three years back we had a cold spell in December, then we had two weeks of freaky warm weather in January. Everything started waking up and growing.

Then February came and it was 6 degrees every morning for around two weeks. Loads of things died in droves, the weather totally suckered punched the early spring flowers.

Ford
C.J.V. - time to start my tomatoes and chili peppers, me

We have about another 2-3 then we'll start our veggies. I'm doing the organizing of the seeds and figuring out what we need and want right now.
Kathleen
I got my tomato & chili seeds 3 or 2 weeks ago and my replacement cylinders for my Park’s Starts about 10 days ago. I have some more romaine lettuce and cilantro seeds starting and 3 romaine with 2 cilantro in 8-ounce coffee cups upstairs. The weather lady on WWL revised the forecast to 21 degrees tonight and tomorrow night warming up over the weekend here on the “Northshore”, her. When I put in my Park’s order I forgot the snow peas so I picked up a packet at Home Depot on Monday. I’ve got to poison the ants and weeds before I plant them, probably next week. ;-)

C.J.V. - I saw the first Japanese magnolia blooming today, me
The weather lady on WWL revised the forecast to 21 degrees tonight and tomorrow night warming up over the weekend here on the “Northshore”, her.

Well, she was wrong again. It only got to 27.0 this morning and is warming up as we speak (type @ 8:06 CST). I had hopes of getting out to the rifle range today, but its too windy. Maybe I’ll start some more seeds today instead. . .
;-(
. . . .or poison some fire ants.
;-)

C.J.V. - love killing dem fire ants, me
No. of Recommendations: 2
It was 8 degrees here on Long Island when I got up this morning, and where our daughter lives near Milwaukee it was -15.

I have cabin fever - haven't been out of the house all week, as our 500 foot gravel driveway is a sheet of ice.

I hate it.

One good thing - I have all my garden catalogs dog-eared, wishlists made, and have chosen to order from three catalogs this year. Perhaps I'll place my orders this afternoon.

Trini
It has been pretty unbelievable for any month here in central Minnesota. For the third morning this week it has been colder than 30 below (that is the air temperature). It had only been that cold one or two times in the 19 years I have lived here before this week. We do have a good snow cover and so I hope that the plants are protected by that but I am still expecting to see a lot of winter kill this spring as we have had a string of fairly mild winters before this one.
Hi, prime! As the reports of -40-something windchills in MN came in, I just kept thinking, "Hah! That's nothing. When I was a senior in college (1994), we had -50 windchill one day, AND WE STILL HAD CLASSES."

This stuff here in WI is nothin' in comparison. Which is why I'm still walking to work despite the -20-somethings we've seen this week in NE Wisconsin.

On the other hand, I'll happily trade places with a friend in Australia--she wants to trade too as it's so hot she can't sleep!

Selphiras (who was a student of Prime13's. Was that really 19 years ago?)
No. of Recommendations: 3
My lillacs are starting to bud, and last week I saw about 5-7 robin redbreasts in my backyard. I usually never see those guys 'till spring. I'm not liking this global warming stuff.......when I was a kid, we used to be able to tunnel through the snow, and the local lake was froze ovver most of the year and everybody went ice skating. I can't remember the last time it was like that....

Mike in NJ
Advertisement