Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently visited one of those "Does the governnment owe you money" sites that AOL sticks up occasionally. Sure enough, my name showed up a zillion times. Somehow when AT&T split (how long ago was that?) it generated small checks from each of the baby bells. Each check was under $10, but the Unclaimed Property Division of the State of Alabama sent me enough checks to generate $130+. They ONLY sent a check, though, so where did this money come from and how does it affect taxes? I could just shrug (it's under my ex's ssn and he DID say that it wasn't enough money to FOOL with so I was welcome to the proceeds), but I'm nicer than that. Does anyone know how to list it come taxes time? As near as I can tell, we own 1 share of AT&T, which must have generated this WINDFALL. LOL.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Somehow when AT&T split (how long ago was that?) it generated small checks from each of the baby bells. Each check was under $10, but the Unclaimed Property Division of the State of Alabama sent me enough
checks to generate $130+. They ONLY sent a check, though, so where did this money come from and how does it affect taxes? I could just shrug (it's under my ex's ssn and he DID say that it wasn't enough money to FOOL with so I was welcome to the proceeds), but I'm nicer than that. Does anyone know how to list it come taxes time? As near as I can tell, we own 1 share of AT&T, which must have generated this WINDFALL.

It is probably a combination of sales of partial shares from the spinoffs of AT&T and accumulated dividends. You should research AT&T at their website to see when it might have split, whether or not you dividends were reinvested, and when the spinoffs occurred. Is the 1 AT&T share still in your name? Is it held in a DRIP account with AT&T? Or do you have the stock certificate? More information will more accurately generate the correct answer as to how to report it.
Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement