No. of Recommendations: 116
To those who are unclear on the concept:

There is no "liberal way of retiring early".

There are "liberals who are interested in retiring early."

There is a board for "conservatives who are interested in retiring early."

This is not that board.

This board does not "owe" anyone explanations, or responses to specious strawmen.

This board exists as an alternative to the other board, where the social chatter is overwhelmingly conservative.

Is that really so hard to understand? If it is, perhaps the problem is with you, not us?

--FY
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 8

You know FY
I was thinking on that, and for myself, my retirement investments could be termed "Conservative" but not in the sense of the word that is contrasted with "Liberal" but with "Agressive".

I don't tolerate a lot of risk in my retirement accounts, there is some but not a large amount. I'm still only 36 so I should have some risk in there.

In my surplus fund I'm a bit more aggressive. Risk is not a bad thing. Risk pays well, but it is, well, risky. The trick is to find risk of a good quality and go for that, all the while knowing it can go south on you. While I can tolerate that in my surplus fund well, I don't want it in my retirement account. And thus, to my mind, my retirement account is "conservative". But in the context of investing that simply means risk adverse.

Is that really so hard to understand? If it is, perhaps the problem is with you, not us?

There was that Churchill quote on the apple board the other day

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

It fits some folks, on both side of the ideological spectrum

Ford
No. of Recommendations: 5
There was that Churchill quote on the apple board the other day

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

It fits some folks, on both side of the ideological spectrum

Indeed.

However, this is not Political Asylum. I don't care to debate my politics here, any more than most of RECF cares to debate theirs there. That is why this board was created.

--FY
No. of Recommendations: 4
There is a board for "conservatives who are interested in retiring early."

No, there isn't.
No. of Recommendations: 11
Anyone interested in starting up another Retirement Board, maybe called "Retire Early On-Topic Edition" so we can get some information on retiring early?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Anyone interested in starting up another Retirement Board, maybe called "Retire Early On-Topic Edition" so we can get some information on retiring early?

I started another one already but there's no way I'm telling anyone where it is.
No. of Recommendations: 1
{{Anyone interested in starting up another Retirement Board, maybe called "Retire Early On-Topic Edition" so we can get some information on retiring early?}}

This is an odd statement as both on REHP and RELE you can get some information on retiring early.

c
No. of Recommendations: 2

I started another one already but there's no way I'm telling anyone where it is.

a wise move.

-j
...... i once asked if there's a board with political discussions with both sides represented by reason .... i was told, "yes. but I'm not telling YOU where it is"
No. of Recommendations: 0
...... i once asked if there's a board with political discussions with both sides represented by reason .... i was told, "yes. but I'm not telling YOU where it is"

Actually there was a board like that, and it was really good.

But then folks started rec'ing posts and it hit the best of.

Once you have a couple of cogent and intelligent posts on both sides of the issues hit the "Best Of" in come the wing nuts. Then you have to sift through the drek and it gets harder and harder to find something good among all the yammering vitriol that you figure what's the point.

And then it is just another board where people shout at each other without listening.

Ford

Is there something wrong with the "FIRE" board? It doesn't have as much traffic, but there's also no political talk that I've noticed.
It doesn't have as much traffic, but there's also no political talk that I've noticed.

Yeah, but there are lots of people here who could change that :-)

Actually there was a board like that, and it was really good.

since that one's apparently gone ... you can tell me what it was .

.....just curious.

=
No. of Recommendations: 3

IMO, Gus goofed by using the word "liberal" in the name. It's like waving a red flag to certain people. I notice maybe four or five posters here (who are of a conservative bent) who seem to be here to bait, taunt, attack, and smear what they see as an evil coven of libruls.

When you think of it what does liberal, conservative, or moderate have to do with retirement, early or otherwise? REHP eventually attracted a very conservative claque, and Gus wanted to distance this board from that, but, as said, it attracts the more heavy-handed and intolerant of them to come here to tweak the linerals' noses.

cliff
But then folks started rec'ing posts and it hit the best of.

Once you have a couple of cogent and intelligent posts on both sides of the issues hit the "Best Of" in come the wing nuts. Then you have to sift through the drek and it gets harder and harder to find something good among all the yammering vitriol that you figure what's the point.

And since the people who rec'd the posts were the same people complaining about the "wingnuts", it became a microcosm of the conservative world.

No. of Recommendations: 3
IMO, Gus goofed by using the word "liberal" in the name. It's like waving a red flag to certain people.

Clearly the way to fight this is to start a board entitled:

Liberal, Bra-Burning, Man-Enslaving Women Who Want to Retire Early.

Yeah, I'll bet that would play good in Seattle.

:^)

--FY

Good god! Margaret - where in the world have you been????

Well I think creating these extra boards was a really dumb move on TMF's part.
No. of Recommendations: 10
IMO, Gus goofed by using the word "liberal" in the name. It's like waving a red flag to certain people.

I think the outcome would have been much the same, except that we'd have less grounds for FA'ing or otherwise objecting to the people who made REHP so difficult for liberal retirees. In my view, leaving out the clear label would have been like Kazim founding a "Religious Freedom" board instead of "Atheist Fools." The resulting community would have been different, and no doubt quite unfriendly to atheists.

- Gus
No. of Recommendations: 13
Well I think creating these extra boards was a really dumb move on TMF's part.

No one is forcing you to read them.

- Gus

since that one's apparently gone ... you can tell me what it was .

Gwen's Pub used to be good, it has calmed down after most of the regulars feld when the crazies descended. Now it is a low traffic board.

Ford
{{Well I think creating these extra boards was a really dumb move on TMF's part.}}

I think that TMF likes to stir the pot and create a saga. This probably causes more viewed pages.

c
IMO, Gus goofed by using the word "liberal" in the name. It's like waving a red flag to certain people. I notice maybe four or five posters here (who are of a conservative bent) who seem to be here to bait, taunt, attack, and smear what they see as an evil coven of libruls.
-----

eff 'em. Beat 'em at their own game.

10... 9... 8...
Advertisement