UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37123  
Subject: Uncomfortable Date: 10/12/1999 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am reorganizing my whole house now, bits at a time. I am putting things in their place, or creating a place for our things (mutually agreed upon by me & hubby, of course!) and giving away what we no longer use or want. If I spend a little extra time putting things away after I use them, I have so much more time later! What a concept!

It is so freeing! Sometimes now, I can go to a place and quickly find exactly what I'm looking for! I still have a way to go before everything is accounted for and organized. It's those things not yet organized that I have the hardest time with. I get really, really impatient with myself when trying to find them! I am so uncomfortable with it. I actually got mad when I couldn't instantly find a paper I was looking for! I never thought that it would be mentally hard like this - I'm usually a very patient person. I have to work on this.

Andrea

Print the post Back To Top
Author: WiscFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 37123
Subject: Re: Uncomfortable Date: 10/12/1999 9:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Andrea,

Sounds like your impatience could be used as an incentive to keep on organizing, and to keep things organized. I'd love to hear more about the concept of investing time in organizing now to create some later. I really need to try and think in those terms. It's a lot like being in debt, but with time instead of money.

WiscFool

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 142 of 37123
Subject: Re: Uncomfortable Date: 10/13/1999 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 2
I'd love to hear more about the concept of investing time in organizing now to create some later. I really need to try and think in those terms. It's a lot like being in debt, but with time instead of money.

Did you read the book, "Sidetracked Home Executives"? I had an epiphany when I read the part where the two disorganized sisters ask their organized friend how she did it. And the answer was, basically, "Put things away after you use them"! I know that sounds just too simple, but a lot of times I do a task, then leave. The "things" that it takes to do a task are still sitting around, sometimes for days. (This is especially bad when I do a project with my son. The glue and paper plates don't get put away - not a good example for my son!) So, I have been very conscious about putting things away after I am done. And I have found extra time because (1) I don't have to take the time to clear a place to start a new project and (2) when it's time to do the heavy cleaning, vacuum, sweep, dust, etc., I don't have to put things away first.

You are right when you say it's a lot like being in debt. I think you are starting to have the same change in your way of thinking that I did just recently. It's like a breakthrough to the 'other side'. We are changing our whole lives!

Andrea

Author: VAJaybird Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143 of 37123
Subject: Re: Uncomfortable Date: 10/14/1999 2:38 PM
Uncomfortable isn't the word, it is angry, mad or furious. I usually have a hissy fit when I can't find something. That's when I decide to clean up, throw out, ORGANIZE! Unfortunately it is hard to sustain the momentum.

I use little tricks like - pretending I've got to move and ask myself the question of "would you pay to move this?" That helps with the throwing away.

I also envision what my children would think about me if I were to die suddenly and they had to clear out the house. oooooh.

What tricks do others use?

Author: AstridS Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 144 of 37123
Subject: Re: Uncomfortable Date: 10/14/1999 3:29 PM
I also envision what my children would think about me if I were to die suddenly and they had to clear out the house. oooooh.

What tricks do others use?

I tend to use the Imaginary Visit of the Mother-in-Law. :D Not to imply that she's one of the bad mit's. I respect her a lot, so I want her to think nice things about me. After all, I did marry her number one son. LOL!

The imaginary out of town guests sometimes works, although that one doesn't work as well as the real kind. My ultimate goal is to be able to get the place to the point where I can have it clean enough for guests on half-an-hour's notice. It's reached that point on a couple of occasions, but I haven't managed to keep it there for more than a week so far. <sigh>

AstridS

Author: 5walker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145 of 37123
Subject: Re: Uncomfortable Date: 10/14/1999 4:25 PM
I use little tricks like - pretending I've got to move and ask myself the question of "would you pay to move this?" That helps with the throwing away.

I must turn off that thought recording device on my tinfoil hat. I was going to mention those exact criteria for whether/how much to organize. I can't think of any other criteria that give me chills like those do. They motivate me to move things out of that "maybe someday" pile and right into the "trash/goodwill" pile, like nothing else does.

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 146 of 37123
Subject: Re: Uncomfortable Date: 10/14/1999 5:07 PM
I, too, get very angry when I cannot find something.

I'm pretty good at finding things others have misplaced, but I transform into a screaming infuriated witch when I lose something.

So I don't look for things. Oh, I look for a minute or two. Check the obvious spots. Then I tell my husband what I've lost, and I go clean up part of the house it might be in.

This case when I find it I've increased the order around me, too.

Because its the chaos that gets me so angry.

-Megan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement