Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: adriana3136 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 332  
Subject: Under Armour threatens to sue vet-owned gym Date: 7/11/2012 11:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi fellow fools

(I've posted this on a few boards, as I'm trying to get the word out)

A good friend of mine, Justin Case, owns a small, independent personal training gym in Fairfax Virginia called Underground Athlete. He recently received a phone call from the in-house counsel at Under Armour who threatened him with a lawsuit. Apparently, they have a problem with his logo and his use of the initials "U" and "A."

Now, Justin has trademarked "UA Underground Athlete" and has the right to use his logo as he has been using for years. I highly doubt Under Armour has ever lost any money over Justin's logo which looks nothing like Under Armour's, and I don't think anyone has EVER confused one with the other.

I think Under Armour is being a bully here; they want him to give up his lawfully obtained trademark under threat of lawsuit. I don't think Under Armour has a case (but hey I'm no lawyer), but Justin can easily be buried by the legal fees that would be required to defend his ownership of his trademark. He's already talking about re-branding and giving up. That's his prerogative but I think it's outrageous that a company like Under Armour thinks they can just bully whoever they want for whatever reason.

Under Armour seems to be making a big deal lately about how they "support our heroes" with their ads and and partnering with Wounded Warrior, but apparently they see no problem in driving a veteran-owned gym to the ground over an entitlement to 2 letters of the alphabet.

Justin is a former Marine who has served our country honorably. He has dreamed of owning a gym since he was young and he has worked very hard for many years to get to where he is now. That means living well below his means to save up for his business, working 75+ hours a week for the last 5 years to build up his clientele, being frugal with his money, etc..

He doesn't deserve this. I would really appreciate it if people supported him by signing this petition. It would only take a minute --> https://www.change.org/petitions/under-armour-don-t-sue-unde...

Here is the link to his website: http://undergroundathlete.com/
You can see for yourself that his trademark looks nothing like Under Armour's.

And here's the link to the US Patent search site if you are so inclined to verify for yourself that he is the owner of his trademark
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4006%3A......
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement