Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
It is my understanding that a waiver can be requested for under payment. Would the two reasons sited below be valid reasons to have the penalty waived or reduced:

1) My 1999 taxes withheld were less than the prior year's taxes paid because I took a new job in 1999 that paid about $20,000 per year less than my 1998 salary. This is why my '99 withholdings were not as much as my '98 taxes paid.

2) I converted my $48,000 IRA to a Roth in 1999...this is primarily where the '99 taxes due (underpayment) stem from.

Thanks in advance!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.