Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: PandaGuy21 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58  
Subject: Undervalued-- Heres why. Date: 3/18/2008 1:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Theres been doubts regarding the true value of Visa. It all comes down to whether the shares outstanding will be around 857M (class A,B, and C) or the 446M (class A only). Another reason why is because of Visa's high number of intangibles, it seems that it will be selling over book value. I think Visa is undervalued relative to of book value AND intrinsic value.

Valuation#1-Book Value
18B IPO (assuming they reflect assets.) 70% intangible leaves:
5.4B in NET TANGIBLE ASSETS.

Valuation#2-Book Value
18B IPO - 10B(redeem from banks)
8B in assets. 70% intangible leaves us:
2.4B in NET TANGIBLE ASSETS.

**Mastercard is current selling EIGHT TIMES BOOK VALUE.**
V#1 x 8 would give us Market Value of 43.2 BILLION (85$ share price)
V#2 x 8 would give us MV of 19.2 (current IPO price)

Valuation #3-Intrinsic Value
(borrowed from Inept One from the other Visa board)
Shares outstanding are:
CLASS A - 446,600,000
CLASS B - 178,190,058
CLASS C - 150,418,508

However, Visa states that 10 BILLION from IPO proceeds are used to redeem 10B in class B and C shares. comes out to around 250M class B and C shares. When shares are in the company treasure, it's to my understanding that they are not counted as shares outstanding. (ie: share repurchases)
Visa will have only 8B remaining paid in Capital, but shares outstanding are now 857-250 = **507M**. At 507M s/o, at 507M s/o x 25 PE(MA) I come to a share price like others have around $88.

Conclusion:
-Some people on the boards claim since Visa's ipo will be trading above book value, it is overvalued. True, But remember, great companies rarely trade at or below book value. Mastercard is currently trading 8x Book.
-I expect Visa to retire their 250M redeemed share to their treasury. (where else would it go, sell it back to stockholders for more cash?) As this happens and s/o is reduced, the intrinsic value in relation to Mastercard's PE of 25, will be 88.

Future outlook: If MORE people think Visa is overvalued than Undervalued than the stock price will go down in the first few weeks.
The only question remains : Do I want to go ALL IN NOW or Dollar Cost Averaging to protect against market volatility? If there were any mistakes in my Calculations please let me know. Good Luck Everyone!

PandaGuy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement