No. of Recommendations: 0
In Dec. 2000 I journaled shares of Microsoft, Intel, Oracle, and Scudder Technology from my IRA to my Roth IRA.

I sent the IRS a substantial check to pay the taxes on the transaction in mid January.

Now I see that the shares have lost a substantial amount of value. I really don't want to pay taxes on an inflated value for the shares. I've read that I can undo the Roth IRA conversion, but how can I recover the taxes paid when I already have a 1099R showing a distribution for the December value of the shares converted to the Roth?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.