UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FreethinkerKW Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947673  
Subject: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 8:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 32
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-jobless-rate-falls-7-123110...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent last month, dropping below 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years. The rate fell because more people found work, a trend that could impact the presidential election.

The Labor Department says employers added 114,000 jobs in September. The economy also created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than first estimated. Wages rose in September and more people started looking for work.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821335 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 8:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
This improvement will have much more effect on the race than the debates.

It's the Economy, Stupid.

Peter

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821337 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 9:02 AM
Recommendations: 2
The Labor Department says employers added 114,000 jobs in September. The economy also created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than first estimated. Wages rose in September and more people started looking for work.

The labor force rose by 418,000.

That's huge, from the standpoint of interpreting the new unemployment rate.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821338 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 9:04 AM
Recommendations: 3
Except we don't count people who aren't looking for jobs anymore
What is the real unemployment?

14%?
15%?
12%?

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821339 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 9:05 AM
Recommendations: 0
Whats the unemployment for young 18-24 yr olds? 50%?
What about minorities? 35 to 50%?

Author: FreethinkerKW Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821340 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 9:06 AM
Recommendations: 1
CNBC is now blathering about a Jack Welch tweet:

"Unbelievable jobs number . . .these Chicago guys will do anything . . .can't debate so change numbers."

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/economy/260453-jobless...

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821343 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 9:11 AM
Recommendations: 7
SG Except we don't count people who aren't looking for jobs anymore

This has been true for decades and liberals have often complained about this.

Interesting how our stands change depending on which party is in the White House.

http://boards.fool.com/real-unemployment-rate-is-73-percent-...

Peter

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821344 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 9:13 AM
The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent...The Labor Department says employers added 114,000 jobs in September. The economy also created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than first estimated. Wages rose in September and more people started looking for work.

The economy is healed!

Thank you, Mr. Bernanke for the punchbowl of QE & ZIRP free money you've been providing. It has finally worked just as you promised.

Now that the economy has turned around, please don't take away the punchbowl.

;-)

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821381 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 10:07 AM
U-6 is at 14.7%. BLS is playing games with the numbers to make Obama look good. Notice how none of the lefties are asking why more people piled into the workforce, we only added 114k jobs and the number went *down*.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821390 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 10:28 AM
It's no secret that unemployment and the CPI are both pretty much bogus measures. They are precise, but hardly accurate.

About the only things the two measures have in their favor is that they're taken using consistent methods.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821426 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 12:06 PM
BLS is playing games with the numbers to make Obama look good.

Like pretty much everything else this will be unknown to you, but the BLS is staffed by career people who work for administrations of both parties.

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821428 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 12:10 PM
A big portion of the "new jobs" are seasonal part time help and Santa Claus Bell ringers

Bears

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821438 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 12:29 PM
Like pretty much everything else this will be unknown to you, but the BLS is staffed by career people who work for administrations of both parties.

Which means next to nothing in an argumentative sense, unless you can produce the employment records of everyone who works there. We both know you can't, so why don't you try again?

Anyways. Digging into the numbers BLS is piling in people who have found part time jobs. That's why analysts aren't saying much other than 'meh' this time:

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/10/the-sickly-stagnant-septemb...

6. The 114,000 jobs created would have been a good number … but for 1962, not 2012. The U.S. economy needs 2-3 times that number every month to close the jobs gap (which is the number of jobs that the U.S. economy needs to create in order to return to pre-recession employment levels while also absorbing the people who enter the labor force each month.) At 114,000 jobs a month, the jobs gap would not close until after 2025, according to the Hamilton Project.

7. We are still on pace to create fewer jobs this year than last year. In 2012, employment growth has averaged 146,000 per month, compared with an average monthly gain of 153,000 in 2011.

8. White House economist Alan Krueger says the jobs numbers are ”further evidence” the economy is healing. But he’s wrong.

The employment-population ratio, which merely shows how many folks have jobs as a share of the civilian population, was 58.7%. Now that’s up from last month. But it is still far below where it was in June 2009, 59.4%,when the recession officially ended. And it’s even further below the 63% level before the downturn.

Reality. It always sucks to be you.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821440 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 12:34 PM
unless you can produce the employment records of everyone who works there.

You're the one who made the charge. I'll wait, and get beck to you.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821443 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 12:41 PM
You're the one who made the charge. I'll wait, and get beck to you.
Fail. Arguing isn't your thing. You couldn't prove your countercharge. I, on the other hand, showed you the relatively flat U-6 number.
They revised upwards a lot of heads to get where they are.

In any case. The economy isn't in good shape. You can go argue amongst your equally educated friends that the US resembles the Roaring 20's or something but the average voter is going to call BS first time, every time.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821532 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 4:01 PM
"You can go argue amongst your equally educated friends "

^ lol...

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821573 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 5:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
U-6 is at 14.7%. BLS is playing games with the numbers to make Obama look good. Notice how none of the lefties are asking why more people piled into the workforce, we only added 114k jobs and the number went *down*.

Different surveys, genius. Household survey and establishment survey are two different items. Per the household survey, the total number employed went up 873K. Labor force increased 418K, total unemployed went down 456K.

This isn't the first time household and establishment surveys have diverged in any given month. Back during the Bush Jr. administration, people on the Right kept arguing that the household survey was better than the establishment survey because the household survey numbers were coming in better. (Remember Dick Cheney [IIRC] and "people working from home selling stuff on Ebay"?)

And I love your blanket assertion that BLS is playing with the numbers just to make Obama look good. I swear, you've become the mirror of everything you dislike about the partisans on the left. Congratulations.

-synchronicity

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821595 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 7:50 PM
bears says

A big portion of the "new jobs" are seasonal part time help and Santa Claus Bell ringers

Horsesh¡t. Try again.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821604 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 8:14 PM

U-6 isn't a measure of unemployment.

You knew that right?

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821606 of 1947673
Subject: Re: Unemployment Hits 44 Month Low Date: 10/5/2012 8:16 PM

The unemployment rate is seasonally adjusted to take that into account.

But you knew that, right?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement