Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: PieInYourFace Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58  
Subject: Re: Buy or not to buy Date: 11/13/2007 8:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately due to the success of Mastercard I have a feeling that the Visa IPO will be more enthusiastically received and price much higher as well than MA initially did. That is unfortunate because I would love to own a piece of this fantastic business.

Thanks UMassHoops for this very informative post.

You already answered the key question, is it a good business? Apparently not just good, but "fantastic."

I am looking for a low hurdle to jump over. I'm not smart enough to catch a falling knife. :) So Visa makes it past the first cut.

Would you care to comment on how Visa could be evaluated, i.e., what its intrinsic value might be? I'm really very ignorant about how credit card processing companies make their money. What valuation metrics could be used?

Also, how do you see Visa stacking up, mid-to long term, versus say MC and Amex?

Curiously, I wanted to cross post a link to this new message board to the Amex board, as I figured there would people there who could jump on this analysis.

Guess what? As far as I can tell, there is no TMF Amex board.

Even if the price for Visa is too high to buy in at the IPO, if we can establish a rough idea of its value, perhaps an opportunity to buy in might arise afterwards.

What do you think?

Again thanks for your comments.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement