UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: snerge One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308847  
Subject: Re: 1st Post/Newbie starter question Date: 6/20/2002 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, I am carrying a lot of CC debt which is how I found TMF in the first place. I am working on the emergency fund--$20-25/week.

How much is "a lot of CC debt"? Not knowing that makes it very hard to give any specific advice. I started dealing with my credit cards when i was $25,000 in debt and making just a few thousand more a year than that. What level of constraints you put on yourself financially to pay off your debts depends on how long you need to keep the new plan going. If you have a debt that you can pay off in a year choosing to live WAY below your means might be worth it, but if you're in it for the long haul (like I was) you probably need to work out a more sustainable plan.

The most valuable tool for doing either is figuring out how you spend your money now by writing down everything you spend for 3 months and putting it all in a spreadsheet. Then you can make choices for yourself as to where you want your money to go. Getting amounts other people spend can be helpful to see if you are out of the norm or not but your starting point should really come from where you're at now.

Snerge

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement