No. of Recommendations: 1
Unfortunately or fortunately I cannot. I am above the max income for IRAs.

Such a number doesn't exist. If you're under 70 1/2 and have taxable compensation, you can make an IRA contribution on top of your retirement plan (401(k) and SEP) contributions. In your case it sounds like your AGI is too high for a Roth, so your only choice would be a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution. Again, see Pub 590, which it sounds like you didn't, which, while I wouldn't lie to you, means that you just accepted what some stranger told you over the ether. Not very Foolish.

That said, "can" and "should" aren't the same. Under current tax law, my preference is a regular taxable investment account holding tax-managed assets rather than a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution. If, or should I say when, they change the treatment of long-term gains, I'll revisit this opinion.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.