UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Woolybooger1 Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465297  
Subject: Unintended consequences Date: 8/27/2013 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 49
Hi Buds and Budettes,

This short little post was prompted by action at our little old Hospital in North Carolina today. Sort of Main Stream USA. A bird's eye view from a little Woolybooger.

4% of the Work force was eliminated at the Hospital today. The reasons given were "Sequestration" and the "Clawing back" of money from Medicaid and Medicare. In the neighboring county the job loss at their hospital was a staggering 20% of their work force. These moves where kept incredibly quiet until released this morning. Rare, but somehow it was a true surprise to the entire work force.

I am not an employed Doc, so it impacts me only indirectly. For those 4% and 20% it was a direct impact.

Chief Medical Officer (Yes Doctor of Medicine)-Eliminated
Speech Pathology position for Children-Eliminated
Perinatal outreach Nurse-Eliminated.

Many others, I just don't know them all yet. So the cuts were employed positions across the board. Doctors, Nurses, Speech Therapy, prenatal and newborn nursing care to those who fall into that lower socioeconomic group. Gone.

It may always sound good to buy into the idea of lowering the cost of Health Care and I agree.................... but........... there be consequences. Now Aunt Sue is unemployed. Cousin Bob's job is gone. Mary Beth is no longer teaching kids born with birth defects how to speak clear enough to get by in life or overcome stutters. Nurses no longer will go to the homes of new moms to make sure things are all good with the newest addition, etc......

I know many of these things are not "necessities". Unless of course it is you, or one of your loved ones who is affected. Then maybe it strikes closer to home.

Just be careful what you ask for. It may not be what you really think it is. Those dang unintended consequences. There will be many other instances like these where the brick wall is hit and the layoffs mount. It certainly is not going to change any time soon.

Wooly............. who found out last week that his nephew (with a college degree in Psychology) is making about the same as I am as a physician. His job? New Owner/Manager of Chick Fil-A.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement