No. of Recommendations: 0
I was doing a quick screen of bonds available for purchase through my Scottrade account. I was filtering through and Union Carbide caught my eye as it is yielding 12.93%. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dow and when i cross checked it versus quantum online's list of related securities for Dow I found two structured assets KVT & DKM which are yielding 7.79% and 7.31%.

This strikes me as odd. I'm no expert on Dow, but a quick search shows that Union Carbide sells almost exclusively to Dow.

I can understand a slight premium to the Dow assets as they are tradeable in smaller blocks of value and they are directly linked to the parent company vs. a subsidiary.

My assumption is that the second piece of the puzzle => the parent company vs. subsidiary really only comes into play if Dow spins off Union Carbide. I am thinking that this assumption must be missing something. Is it a plausible risk that Dow would stop paying the union carbide bond significantly before they would stop paying on their dow debt ? As I type I realize that the other possible answer is that during a bankruptcy Union Carbide Debt may only have a claim to Union Carbide assets... But I would think that if bankruptcy were close enough to a real possibility, that the Dow debt wouldn't be trading at such a low yield.

Am I missing something? Looking forward to any insight whether specific to these issues or theories in general.

Scott
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement