Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ethan2007 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121563  
Subject: Unique Real Estate Tax Situation Date: 4/17/2007 8:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello All!

I had posted my question on another board earlier and the folks over there suggested I post it here. So here goes.

My wife and I recently sold a property that she owned and lived in prior to us getting married and selling the property. She bought the house in 2000 and lived there until 2003 (more than two years). She then rented the property from 2003 until she sold the home in 2006. All the while we thought we would be excluded from paying capital gains.

Apparently, since she had filed schedule E and claimed income and expenses during the years she rented the home then qualified as a rental property per the IRS code. Of course, I haven't been able to find this code and this is based on three CPAs who all have at least 20 years experience, yet none were willing to dig up the code without a fee). All three CPAs advised that since it was turned into a rental property and she never re-established residency before selling the property we owed the capital gains tax.

So, she lived in it for two years out of five and she did not make more than 250k. Does she owe the tax or is she excluded?

Note, we've already sent in our taxes and paid the tax man, but if I find out that we should not have paid the taxes then I will file an amended return.

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

ethan2007
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement