UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cbourner Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 177  
Subject: United Water Date: 7/3/2005 1:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Howdy,

What do you guys think of United Water stock? I can't help but think that growing population and lowering aquifers are bound to mean more money in their collective pocket.

Any thoughts?

CB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159 of 177
Subject: Re: United Water Date: 7/8/2005 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Maybe , maybe not.....they are a public utility and thus are somewhat constrained on how much they can raise rates and generate excess profits.

If Idaho ever decides to IMO foolishly deregulate water the odds are that private corporations will buy things up with the claim of "better service at a lower price" and then screw the public. The corporations most likely to push deregulation and to abuse the public would probably be the big players of Vivendi, RWE, Suez, and Bechtel.

All have actually caused major water price hikes, poor service, and abused the public so deregulation could be a total "cockup".

The following site has some good information.

http://www.citizen.org/cmep/Water/
http://www.citizen.org/cmep/Water/general/majorwater/

A wise old American pol once remarked; "There are two things you never want to release from being public utilities, power and water. Both are needed to survive and both are best controlled as public utilities to protect the public from unscrupulous and greedy".

Don't remember who siad it yet I tend to agree after having seen the wonders of Enron, Westar, ConAgra, Worldcom, IBP, and others released from regulation and oversight.

md

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement