No. of Recommendations: 9
"With little warning, the University of Texas at Austin removed three Confederate monuments from its campus overnight, 10 days before classes are set to begin."

"(University President) Fenves wrote that after the events in Charlottesville, it had become clear to him 'that Confederate monuments have become symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism.'

He went on to say that the statues’ historical and cultural significance was compromised by what they symbolized, and noted that they were erected in the midst of Jim Crow and segregation and that they represented 'the subjugation of African Americans.'"

(pay wall) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/us/texas-austin-confedera...

My thoughts exactly. If there was ever any doubt about what these statues symbolize, the right has told us loud and clear what they symbolize by their hysterical, violent actions. As always, we have to worry about how the issue is playing out in the fake news and how much of a distraction from more important issues it is, but removing symbols of racial segregation is the right thing to do.

FWIW, my son is a student at UT and his mother is Chinese, so I have a personal stake in this.
HOOK 'EM HORNS!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement