No. of Recommendations: 2
Unless the law has changed, technically "yes." You can buy U.S. Eagle (modern bullion)coins but they must be held by the trustee bank. Not all IRA providers do this. As guy above notes, you can also buy "paper gold" such as one of the new ETF or (what I used to use) CEF (Central Fund of Canada) which is kind of a closed-end mutual fund that owns mostly metal (the ancestor of the modern, uppity ETFs ...!)

Don't forget that gold is very volatile. For the most bang for your buck, consider gold stocks. The mere fact you're intersted in it now means you are probably going to lose your ass, but hey that's the market !
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.