Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Unless you have carry forward losses or deductions, filing on paper avoids all of the numbers that they ask from the previous return.

Well, you can get around missing information whether you're filing electronically or on paper, but that doesn't mean that your return will be right. For example, even if you itemized deductions the prior year, a state tax refund may or may not be taxable income and, if taxable, may or may not be fully taxable. Without the prior year's return you don't know for sure. Unless you have a really good memory, that is.

Bottom line, keep your returns. Forever. If nothing else it will provide amusement for those cleaning up after you've gone to your dirt nap.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.