Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
Unless you have way more money than you can possible spend in retirement, you are probably better off keeping some diversification in your investments. 100% CD's is actually riskier (when you consider the risk of outliving your funds) than a mix of stocks, bonds, Cd's, REIT's, Real Estate, etc.

You will have earned income even after you retire. Dividends and capital gains from your assets outside your tax protected stuff. Thus you will still be able to and probably should continue to contribute to your Roth IRA. Moving an investment from a taxable state to a Roth IRA state is advantageous as long as you are going to keep it there for awhile.

People will argue but I would tend to access 401k funds first (they will be taxed at full income rates) up to the amount which doesn't raise me above the lowest bracket. I would then access the normal taxable stuff, selling as necessary and paying capital gains taxes, and only then access the tax free Roth IRA funds. Of course this is all on an as necessary basis. The idea is to keep the tax free stuff compounding as long as possible and minimize current tax rates. Thus having money in various investment vehicles (normal taxable investments, 401k & IRA's, Roth IRA's ) can be used to your advantage.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.