Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7894  
Subject: Update - 10/16/02 Date: 10/16/2002 7:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
A year ago I posted this message:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15938130

Odd, how I've never forgotten the date.

A lot of the same lessons are being expanded.

Things that were important are less important. But I still get ticked off at stupid drivers. I still
want to smack people who smoke. The miseries of cancer treatment are so awful that I can't
believe that people are deliberately courting the risks. I used to smoke. I quit twenty-five years
ago. So I know that quitting is possible.

I've learned to suggest compromises when possible. Not all battles have to be fought. I can save
my strength for the important ones.

I've become better at self-analysis. I have a distinct lack of patience, and I have a terrible temper
that, fortunately, most people have never seen because I keep it locked up.

And I sulk. And brood. And I never forget injuries.

That's the short list.

But I'm getting better about it. It's a struggle, but I'm trying to let things go instead of going
through the same old arguments in my head.

I have what might be termed disorganized religious beliefs, but I do believe that we keep going
through the circle until we've learned basic lessons, and lived by them. So some of what I've
learned on this round will help cut the lessoning short.

I founded this board because the Motley Fool was where many of my friends were, and I knew I
needed help and support. I couldn't find another board that discussed serious illness in terms of
how to live with it, so I started one of my own.

After I had made the announcement on several boards, I sat and shivered.

What if no one came?

I've no idea how people reacted when they saw that initial post. I've often wondered.

For the update, I'm in remission. I see the doctors and have a mammogram and an MRI once a
year.

I have also just learned that the Word Perfect Spell Checker does not recognize the existence of
the word Mammogram. Make of that what you will.

I've learned that some people are so scared of the word cancer that they curl up and blow away.

It's a scary word, yes. One of the scariest in the English language, and the only equivalent I can
think of is AIDS. But it's only a word, and you cannot allow words to gain control over you. To
give cancer control over you is to signal the end.

Cancer is not the end. Cancer survivors, like me, have proven that.

And our name is Legion. I pick up books, I turn on the television, I read the newspaper, and I
hear about another survivor.

We are everywhere. From people who travel on mass transit, to the people who write books that
you read, from the people who pass you on the street, to the people you watch on television,
there are cancer survivors everywhere. We don't identify ourselves. We don't wear a Purple
Heart.

But we are on every road you travel.

We will make it.

And so can you.

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement