UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1948  
Subject: Update Date: 10/4/2011 5:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
So...we are going the Montessori route. It's a bit of a snug fit financially but his first day was today and the difference is phenomenal. They do offer financial aid which we will investigate for next year as it's already tapped out this year.

Thank you for your help and support. You all gave me the confidence to do what I knew was right in the face of the "system".

Minxie
not very confrontational ;-)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1942 of 1948
Subject: Re: Update Date: 10/4/2011 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Love Montessori. Glad to hear it's already showing promise.

IP

Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1943 of 1948
Subject: Re: Update Date: 10/6/2011 5:53 PM
Thanks. The second day he woke ME and insisted we leave a half-hour early so "we won't be late to school, Mom!!!!!" He's excited, engaged, and coming home telling me, "Mom, I got to do REAL MATH today!"

Minxie

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1944 of 1948
Subject: Re: Update Date: 10/6/2011 8:10 PM
"Mom, I got to do REAL MATH today!"

I remember the boys assembling cubes, to learn what 2 cubed really meant and how come it was 8. I was always amazed at the level of math concepts they got to grasp.

One of my favorite things to do was to sit behind the one way mirror and watch the class in action. One look of all these 2-7 year olds busily and quietly working on things that interested them, with the older kids helping the younger out, was all it took for me to write a check.

Our Montessori school only went through first grade. It was a let down to give them a traditional education after that, but I firmly believe their Montessori start was critical.

IP

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1945 of 1948
Subject: Re: Update Date: 10/7/2011 8:05 AM
I remember the boys assembling cubes,

I LOVED the math cubes

peace & tactile math
t

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1946 of 1948
Subject: Re: Update Date: 10/7/2011 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 1
Well, one thing I found from paying for private school was that paying for college was less daunting.

Glad you found something that worked.

Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1947 of 1948
Subject: Re: Update Date: 10/8/2011 10:40 PM
Yes, he's very happy and doesn't think the teachers are doing much "teaching" because they aren't lecturing; lessons are based on the child observing and doing. He's also enjoying learning stuff "from the other kids, Mom!" It's a better fit for him in every way.

Minxie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement