UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 346  
Subject: Update of sorts Date: 2/2/2005 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Mostly for Randall, because I'm not sure if anybody else reads this board ever.

I'm in Chesapeake, Virginia, today, after spending most of the last two days in Williamsburg. I've been offered a full scholarship to the MBA program at The College of William and Mary, and I'm pretty much ecstatic.

Randall, they have a student run mutual fund that they call the Batten Fund...second year MBA students apply to be a part of the group that determines the direction, etc. They invest in all sectors, with each of the members of the fund responsible for a sector. They have what appear to be weekly meetings to present potential stocks for investment.

On Tuesday, I sat in on one of those meetings. Three stocks were presented, and, damnation, they do it well. Serious financial analysis, even some technical analysis (made me want to scream, but who cares) - and a "story" for each stock. It was interesting as hell.

Anyway, the fund has about $500,000 - they keep uninvested funds in sector ETFs until they make a determination on an individual fund in that sector, then the professor made a purchase order right then, on the spot, upon acceptance of the stock by the group. In the three hours I was there, they purchased about $60,000 worth of stock. All decided on by students.

Then, I attended a finance class by a guy who used to teach at Harvard - essentially, he valued the Amazon.com IPO from 1997 numbers and projections. Dude was brilliant - again, interesting as hell.

In a nutshell - man, I know where I'm going to be this August. You'd love this stuff...

Matthew
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: carcrash7 Two stars, 250 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307 of 346
Subject: Re: Update of sorts Date: 2/2/2005 5:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308 of 346
Subject: Re: Update of sorts Date: 2/2/2005 5:58 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hey, you used my word....thats outstanding!

Author: FarscapeDVDinJAN Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 309 of 346
Subject: Re: Update of sorts Date: 2/2/2005 10:33 PM
Dang it! My husband says that all day long!

And now, I have to listen to it here as well!

;)

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 310 of 346
Subject: Re: Update of sorts Date: 2/3/2005 9:52 AM
Hey, somebody else is reading this board.

Of course, I can't not say it....

OUTSTANDING!

Where in AR might you be?

Matthew

Author: FarscapeDVDinJAN Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 311 of 346
Subject: Re: Update of sorts Date: 2/3/2005 10:50 AM
Northwest. And I've been reading the board for a while ;).

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 312 of 346
Subject: Re: Update of sorts Date: 2/3/2005 3:17 PM
Spent my share of time up there...

I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that there are people here...I guess I need to start posting again.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement