Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122220  
Subject: Update on our FeLV (?) Maine Coon Date: 12/5/2012 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
About five years ago I posted about a cat that had adopted us. Unfortunately, when we took him to the vet, he tested positive for FeLV.

Well, its five years later and he's still a healthy, happy cat.

I'm more convinced than ever that the test results were a false positive.

Also, despite what they say about old dogs, it seems old cats can learn new tricks.

For most of the last five years we've kept Buddy's dry food in a tupperware container on a shelf above his bowl. Just recently Buddy figured out that if he knocks the container off the shelf, that the lid pops off and he can get all the food he wants. So we had to find a new place to store the food.

About a week after that, he taught himself how to open the pocket door between our bathroom and master bedroom. (The bathroom has two doors, and he enters from the other side.) So when he gets hungry at, say, 3AM, he can just open the door, jump on my bed, and start meowing at me. (And he has a very loud voice.)

Solution: I over-fill his bowl with dry food just before bedtime.

Sometimes I wonder who's in charge here!

It just reinforces a saying I've heard: dogs have owners, cats have servants.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120170 of 122220
Subject: Re: Update on our FeLV (?) Maine Coon Date: 12/6/2012 6:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
It may have been a false positive, but I think I've read that the disease can be held at bay for so long that cats sometimes die of other causes anyway.

Kitty sounds like a handful, but then I know you have toddler triplets, so he probably had to learn to hold his own in your house. Enjoy!

Rita

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120175 of 122220
Subject: Re: Update on our FeLV (?) Maine Coon Date: 12/6/2012 2:09 PM
Recommendations: 2
They're not toddlers anymore; the triplets are 5 1/2 — almost 6.

Buddy gets up and walks around during the day after they leave for school, but as soon as they come home he hides in the basement until bedtime.

He knows how to handle himself.

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120266 of 122220
Subject: Re: Update on our FeLV (?) Maine Coon Date: 1/3/2013 7:44 PM
Recommendations: 0
Just fyi...dry food is what makes cats fat (according to my vet).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement