Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Ezlington Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57232  
Subject: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 11/25/2012 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
This is a copy of an Email sent to one or two friends/therapists and a fool or two, it had a *.JPG of a full body bone scan attached. Some of this mail will not make sense without it, if you would like a copy reply offboard.

Well, lets brighten up my post, now that I am over the extreme radiotherapy “tummy upsets” and having greatly reduced my morphine intake, on Thursday MDW and I had a comprehensive 75 minute session with my new Oncologist followed by a Friday that was occupied with Kidney function tests.

We have settled well into the temporary flat/apartment, further adaptions included a bath lift which means I can bath, entering and leaving, un aided. Sleeping position is still awkward and I doubt that it will ever improve due to the existing damage to both hips and the shin splint type pain I get from my left leg if it is not slightly raised at night, to date it is the only pain that has caused me to take extra “on demand” morphine (of which I have access to “unlimited amounts” ) on 4 occasions.

The really good news is that instead of a life expectancy of 6-8 weeks(sic.), depending on the outcome of the kidney tests, the new prognosis is 6-12 months (bearing in mind that these numbers are basically guesses based upon the experience of the clinician) .

I attach an image of a bone scan, the darker the area the faster a radioactive tracer is metabolised by cell growth ie. cancer foci (excluding bladder which is a reservoir). The strange thing is that in June we had a fantastic week of tango lessons with Gato and Andrea a couple I consider some of the best tango teachers around. The hip pain, which was my original complaint started 2 or 3 weeks afterwards, too late for most Sports/dance type injuries, however, if you look at the location of the lesions they tie in very well with the areas of high stress at the end of range of movement during many Tango moves, perhaps with the exception of the top of the left shoulder being absent (possibly due to a flawed technique). Ok there is a lot of metastastic lesions bun none appear to be in vital organs apart from the primary, which is good news

Before I can start the Chemo- I have to have a flu vaccination and if you recall Prior to this I have recently had two separate dental abscesses which have to be extracted and any other potential infections treated as chemo- therapy makes your immune system very weak, so next week involves yet more appointments.

I have been overwhelmed by the numbers of friends and colleagues who have visited me and it amazes me just how much more of a relationship develops when you meet people outside of the normal social context, probably because you talk about and discuss things at a greater depth or on different topics. It just goes to prove the great universal truth : “If only I knew then what I know now”.

I probably will not be extending the lease on the flat (beyond 3 months) as I think my declining mobility issues can be adequately solved at home by converting the kids TV room into a bedroom, also our new bathroom is better suited for my needs and
the heating system will be better suited to the winter.

The prospect of "more time" was very welcome, but it has meant that I have had one or two "early Xmas presents" the most welcome of which was the DVD of series II of Game of Thrones, pity I'll miss series 3-6, as I will not have time to read the books if I am to finish my own writing.

My main authorship target is “A Clinical guide to silicone micro-droplet implants in the foot” a subject that I can make the immodest claim that “few people have as much knowledge and experience as me”. I have given several lectures on the subject and also met the originator of the technique, Sol Balkin, on two occasions and followed his work closely.

The other book is a partly written childrens book entitled “The Hermit Of Usan” totally illustrated by picture agates like those found, excavated, cut and polished around “The Fishtown Of Usan“ by the aforementioned Hermit under the penname of John Pratchett.

The main problem with both of these is the effect of my medication on memory, concentration/focus and motivation as it is hard to “want” when there are opiates in your system.

So it’s possibly a busy week coming up perhaps starting the chemotherapy a week tomorrow. Fingers crossed,

Cheers,

€z
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56627 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 11/25/2012 9:53 PM
Recommendations: 3
Ez,

Your spirit and attitude is extraordinary. I can only wish you well and let you know that I greatly admire you and hope that what the future holds for you will not be too uncomfortable and that you will be able to finish your projects.
I wish I had a chance to meet you.

Best regars,
Shelley

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56628 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 11/25/2012 11:57 PM
Recommendations: 2
I can only ditto what Shelley has said.

I send you light hugs because bear hugs might be too much.

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56629 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 11/26/2012 7:01 PM
Ez, I echo what Shelley and DorMill have said. You are an extraordinary person. This world needs more people like you, not less.

I hope you can feel our hugs.

Verna

Author: CoffeeladyinFL Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56630 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 11/26/2012 9:10 PM
Ez, I echo what Shelley and DorMill have said. You are an extraordinary person. This world needs more people like you, not less.

I hope you can feel our hugs.

Verna
Linda

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56631 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 11/27/2012 1:01 AM
Recommendations: 5
EZ
The echo from what the other posters said is from me too. I have been quietly reading the posts about your situation and think about what the rest of us have in the future. The Good Book of Life doesn't have nice endings.

I'm going to clip a small email to a friend. He was having some bad days too and this thought always kept my mind focused. It's from David Thoreau.

Here's a special part of Thoreau's Walden Pond.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world.

I liked this part of the book and I live with this thought too. If life is mean, then I want to see how mean a day can be. I try to see if it's a record for being a "Mean" day. With my daily job, I had a lot of days which almost won the contest for being the meanest day but I'm still looking to find the actual winner. I'm sure it will be coming down the road in my life.

Just remember, we're thinking of you and your situation. I'm sure that the other posters are same to me, I think of you daily.

Keep your positive thoughts as much as possible.

Blackduff

Author: Ezlington Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56646 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/5/2012 6:46 PM
Thanks Blackduff,
I am recovering from all the huggs I got earlier as I write'

I enjoyed the Thoreau quotation

I'm being as positive as I can and decided to use some of the old

"every day in every way..." psychology.

Awoke today with flurries of snow coming from the North and they have continued intermittently all day. In my current state I’m glad I am not an outdoor worker.

“In my current state” needs a bit of explanation.

Well since the chemo started the worst general problem has been hiccoughs (latest attack lasting three and a half hours). OK a lack of energy and drive to do things not 100% altogether but less discomfort, more mobility and stricter compliance with the timing of all the concurrent medication.

The thing that has changed is my hair line.

Since one thing most people fear is hair loss and going bald I thought I would embrace the fear and shave my head. That way each day as it grows back I will look better and embrace it as a reverse psychology sign of healing and regrowth.

The beard I have had since I was 17 is gone and MDW Ann says it is the biggest change. Of course I got my usual Internet sign off “Ez” engraved on the back of my head before it was too short. Photographs have been taken, but not uploaded as the cable is at home.

As it was being cut by my wife I noticed I was sitting next to a painting by V van Gough and remember hoping that it was not going to be too appropriate.

In deference to my daughters wishes I left the eyebrows intact but this has not spared me from comparisons with Uncle Festus Adams , the good looking one from the Flying Pickets”. Ann really misses the beard.

My hairdresser used to be David Aston, the trainer for the UK’s National Hairdressing Federations Team and he asked me to be a model on several occasions as I had a good shaped head for competition modelling, so I thought I’d suit bald, nothing worse than a badly shaped bald head (he says risking offending unseen readers)

Thank goodness the beard will be recognisably back in 3 or 4 weeks as it grows very rampantly.

A cold Wednesday night is expected with heavy frost and -6 deg expected but hopefully warming up for Friday as the wind veers from the North to the warmer west with a little bit of Fohn wind effect from the Pennines added in.

So maybe A friend who is flying in for a visit from Spain will make it, looking forward to seeing him again, I look forward to this as we have a lot of history and I owe him a lot.

Plans not fully finalised if he takes up my offer of staying in the appartmentss spare double bed I'll have to miss the last pre-Christmas Tango Milonga at the hub on the quayside.
We have been the last two weeks for Ann to Dance and me to watch, Therre is another Milonga on Saturday held by the recently married professional dancers who performed at my party, Guillermo Torrens and Maria . http://www.tangounlimited.co.uk/

I hope they allrecognise me!

Cheers,

€z

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56647 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/6/2012 8:50 AM
Love your posts. Keep them coming and coming and coming,,,,,,
Shelley

Author: Ezlington Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56648 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/6/2012 7:09 PM
This is where the hugs stop!

http://boards.fool.com/haircuts-30417999.aspx?sort=whole#304...

€z

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56649 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/6/2012 9:05 PM
You can't hug a bald man? Lots of men are going to be very upset with that news.
Shelley

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56650 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/7/2012 12:38 AM
Ez, bald is beautiful - and you sure are beautiful!

That calls for even more hugs!

Verna

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56651 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/8/2012 7:33 PM
Recommendations: 4
"flurries of snow coming from the North"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
T'would be truly depressing if they came from the South.

"sitting next to a painting by V van Gough and remember hoping that it was not going to be too appropriate. "
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Could be eerie, indeed.

"comparisons with Uncle Festus Adams "
"Thank goodness the beard will be recognisably back in 3 or 4 weeks as it grows very rampantly. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On viewing the photos and reading your post, I could only think of
"Wooly Willie" - the magnetic beard face toy.
You are quite the handsome devil - in your own manner.

"I hope they allrecognise me!

Cheers,

€z "

The cheery will always tell the tale.

Howie52

Author: Ezlington Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56673 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/19/2012 4:07 PM
Christmas is cancelled!

Well I was at the Oncologist this afternoon complaining that I was feeling too good!

So good that they must have me on the cheap pills especially since I'm feeling great, full of fitness and vitality, restricted movement ok, but thats just pain, and I'm not due my next Chemotherapy session untill 24th Dec.

So she has agreed to increase the level of my therapy to more bone stuff (residronate?) & two different gem-carbo-thingys and return a week later (31.12.12), get a new bone scan and see her on the 9th, Delighted with this positive outcome.

Over a familly evening meal I mentioned that I would just keep out of their way on Christmas in case I feel poorly.

Then Alexander said "why don't we just cancel Christmas for a couple of days and see how you feel"

So that's what we are doing, I don't suppose that Windsor woman will be very happy when she gets my request to repeat her 3.00 pm message a day or two later, but thems the breaks that come with her job!

Naturally I expect you all to fall into line and delay Christmas feasts by at least 24 hours.

Chrizzy Cheers,

€z

(Ps. hair is growing back well, I look just like a Hobbits bunion!)

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56674 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/19/2012 4:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
OK EZ, I'm with you, - and good luck to you with all our hearts!

(we can always tape Her Maj and play her later ;o)

cat

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56675 of 57232
Subject: Re: Update on "Bad news.." Date: 12/20/2012 4:17 PM
Recommendations: 4
Merry Christmas Ez, despite it's later than it's arranged. Hemmingway had a novel called Moveable Feast and it worked for him, so certainly you can moveable your Christmas when you want.

Best holidays Blackduff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement