UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zigmund555 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Update to previous post Date: 7/17/2002 9:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Ok.. thanks to the folks who offered advice on my BT (I'm new at this)

Wanted to update and ask another question..

Currently.. the CC debt is:

GetSmart Visa ~1900 @ 15%
Umbrellbank Visa ~1900 @ 10.5%
Discover 0% BT offer till 1/03 afterwards 12.5%
Citibank Personal Loan ~2500 @ 24.99% (ouch!!)

Also, have $300 in BrokerageAmerica Account (was playing the market but I'm new at that too and given it's volatility I decided to hold off for a bit)

$500 e-fund

Oh yeah, and the school loan I like to forget I have.. about $22,000 @~4.5%

After BT
GetSmart Visa - $0
Umbrellabank Visa ~1900
Discover - ~$4000 @ 0% till 1/03
Personal Loan ~$500 (which I want to pay off this month with snowball)

So.. here's my question. I know the smart thing to do would be to snowball the Umbrellbank Visa and ride out the Discover for 6 months. I could probably have most if not all of the Umbrellabank card paid off by then. Then to BT the remainder to another low interest offer.

But, I think I'd really feel better paying down the Discover. I think I'd like to hang onto that card, definately close off the GetSmart. (On a side note, I'd have to check my statements but I could have sworn that before the Fed started dropping the prime rate my APR went up when my balance went up).

Doesn't having a lot of credit accounts hurt your FICO? If you keep BTing things around then won't it still affect your FICO?

Another side note.. if anyone has children heading toward college.. please stress to them to NOT fill out any of those credit card apps for free gifts.. even if you say you only make $500 a year a lot of times they'll open an account for you even if you don't receive a card.. the first time I checked my CR I had 5 mysterious credit accounts that I had to track down the creditors and explain everything.. not worth the hassle.

Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement