UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ForNoOne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10363  
Subject: Updating ? Date: 5/4/2005 7:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm updating from basic2001 to basic2005 since Quicken will no longer update quotes. Before I do i'm going to back up the Quicken folder to CD. If I need to go back to the 2001 version, are all the updates in the folder somewhere? IIRC, Quicken would D/L updates and then the next time it was opened it would say that there are updates available and procede to update without going out to the net.

FNO
Print the post Back To Top
Author: streetstupid Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6271 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/5/2005 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Could you let me know how this works out? I have never been able to get Quicken (I have used an earlier version and then 2004) to put anything on to a CD.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6299 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/12/2005 7:02 AM
Could you let me know how this works out? I have never been able to get Quicken (I have used an earlier version and then 2004) to put anything on to a CD.

I once contacted Intuit about this, and they said the reason was that there were too many brands of CD makers for them to be able to handle the drivers for all of them. Yes, a cop-out, but that was their reply. I routinely back my stuff up to a CD though. I have to copy it to a separate file first, then copy the file, but it works fine for restores. I still have to get the updates from the web when doing a restore, but it backs up the data just fine.
Kathleen

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6301 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/12/2005 7:47 AM
I once contacted Intuit about this, and they said the reason was that there were too many brands of CD makers for them to be able to handle the drivers for all of them. Yes, a cop-out, but that was their reply.

That's Intuit for you. There should be no reason for an application to be concerned with the drivers at all. That is the responsability of the operating system. The O.S. provides a standard interface (called the Application Programming Interface, or API, usually) that isolates application programs (like Quicken or TurboTax) from the nitty gritty of driver and devices. If Intuit tries to evade the O.S., they are stupid and irresponsable.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6302 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/12/2005 8:21 AM
That's Intuit for you. There should be no reason for an application to be concerned with the drivers at all. That is the responsability of the operating system. The O.S. provides a standard interface (called the Application Programming Interface, or API, usually) that isolates application programs (like Quicken or TurboTax) from the nitty gritty of driver and devices. If Intuit tries to evade the O.S., they are stupid and irresponsable.

I know that and I argued with them for several minutes before it finally got through my thick head that it was a gesture in stupidity on my part to argue with them.
Kathleen
(formerly certified on more OSs than I care to remember)

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6303 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/12/2005 8:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
I know that and I argued with them for several minutes before it finally got through my thick head that it was a gesture in stupidity on my part to argue with them.

There is a great Peanuts cartoon strip about this (not as direct as Dilbert, but funnier).

Linus is talking to a brick wall for 4 panels. He says:

And I feel that as long as we have to live togehter in the same family, we should try to get along. I just think we could work a little harder at it, that's all... Do you agree?

The wall seems to ignore him.

He then walks over to where Lucy is and repeats the same thing to her.

Lucy ignores him.

He then walks over to where Charlie Brown is and says, "You're right... Talking to Lucy is like talking to a brick wall.

It seems strange to have the words Intuit and support in the same sentence. Oxymoron.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6305 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/12/2005 11:11 AM
I once contacted Intuit about this, and they said the reason was that there were too many brands of CD makers for them to be able to handle the drivers for all of them. Yes, a cop-out, but that was their reply

Intuit writes financial software, not backup software. I don't expect it to specifically support writing to CD, any more than I expect Word to. I expect it to write to the operating system's file handlers.

As it happens, a lot of CD-sofware publishers - I DO expect THEM to support writing to CD, because it's what their software is for - publish operating-system add-ins that support treating (at least) CDRWs as ordinary writeable disks. I would expect Quicken to work with ALL of these, because this would simply require that Intuit NOT do anything special.

And in fact I've worked at various times with two different varieties of such software, and never encountered any problem with having Quicken back up to an ordinary folder which happens to be on CD. And yes, I've successfully restored from backup as well.

Author: ForNoOne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6323 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/15/2005 5:02 PM

streetstupid

What type of CD writing software do you use? I have HP CD-Writer and with it I can format the CD-R to be reard and written to just like any other media (i.e. floppy or hard drive). That's how I set up my CD-R to do backups from within Quicken. Also, I can choose to make B/U of data files though HP CD-Writer and periodically when I do backups I will just B/U the Quicken folder, which has a sub folder of the last 5 Quicken back ups.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6324 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/16/2005 7:52 AM
I have never been able to get Quicken (I have used an earlier version and then 2004) to put anything on to a CD.

I have Quicken 2003 DeLuxe on my old machine that can run Windows XP Home. It will not write backups directly to the CD-ROM drive, but it will write to the My Documents directory from which I can write the files to the CD-ROM using Windows software. Kludgy, but I find all Intuit and Microsoft products to be kludgy. Since it takes 5 floppies to take my Quicken backup, that is no longer a realistic medium for backups.

Author: nobears Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6326 of 10363
Subject: Re: Updating ? Date: 5/16/2005 8:24 AM
Teh last "patch" to Q2004 seriously crippled its ability to backup to CD media. Before the patch, it worked fine. After the patch, nothing. I was forced to upgrade to Q2005 in order to get it to work. It does work fine again in Q2005. But before upgrading to Q2005, make sure you look at all the other changes in it, in particular the changes starting to take effect w.r.t. QIF file import for transaction download, to make sure you can live with the limitations being imposed there as they start to remove support for the QIF format. You'll need to decide which is more important to you.

Mark

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement